do the power need to be same watts as that of the mobile

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
HI, I want to buy a power bank for my mobiles which has different watts charger to plug in.
I am in need of a power bank of 10000 mah with levels of charge always showing.
do the power bank need to be the same output of watts to buy. do i need more no of power bank if i have mobiles having different watts output charger.
I ask this query because, the usb is plugged of the mobile chargers to charge the mobiles generally.
or is the power bank need be of any watts and volts.
please could you recommend one such quality power bank
for eg motto g4 plus has a turbo charger of 15 watts , moto g32 has 33wats power charger

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The power required by your devices needs to be met. If your devices combined are going to require 2000mAh then your supply needs to be able to AT LEAST supply that much power. IF your source is capable of 1KAh - it doesn't matter. As long as there is ENOUGH available then you're going to be fine.

A battery being charged will take as much power as it needs. Think of it like a pitcher of water and a glass of water. Your glass is empty so you pour some water from the pitcher into the glass. There's still water in the pitcher but you can't put more water into the glass than it will hold. Same is true of supply and demand. IF your supply is insufficiently sized then charging will still take place but at a slower rate.

Look at a single charger: It's capable of 2A (2000mA). Your cell phone (you said device, I assume it's a cell phone) may draw only 750mA. The 2A charger will handle that with no problem and your cell phone will charge as fast as its internal battery management system will allow. But suppose your charger is capable of only 500mA. Your battery will still charge but it will take longer to charge. Imagine you have a really big glass and a very small pitcher of water. You try to fill your glass but the pitcher runs out of water before your glass is full. So you have to go back to the faucet and refill your pitcher. Takes extra time, doesn't it?!

Like filling a pool. Use a fire hose and you can fill it a lot faster than you can with a garden hose. In the case of charging your cell phones, having an oversized charger won't charge it faster, it can't. The charge cycle will only draw as much as is needed as long as the supply is equal or greater than the need.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
HI, I want to buy a power bank for my mobiles which has different watts charger to plug in.
I am in need of a power bank of 10000 mah with levels of charge always showing.
mAh is not a rating of power, it is a rating of capacity. You can assume nothing from that rating about how many Watts it can provide. You could have two power banks with the same capacity, but different current capacity, and the power they could provide would be different.

To know the power, you need to know the voltage and the current capacity. Power is voltage x current.

Presumably it is 5V, though some are 12V or multi-voltage. Does it have a max current rating? Lets’s say it does, and it is 2A at 5V. Then the power it can provide is 10W.

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
Hi, Tony, thanks for your answer. But curiously, I find a 10000 mah for 15 watts in amazon.
So, kindly say, if I want a particular mobile phone which has support of turbo charger of15 watts capacity,then it will charge as if it is placed on original charger . Is it not
Normally, only we do not use the charger itself to a power bank to charge ,but only use the usb part of the charger with the power bank. So, will it not charge fast if i use this exact power bank
otherwise, as you say,it may take 3 to 4 hours is it not
please see this link
https://www.croma.com/samsung-10000...ype-a-ports-quick-charge-2-0-silver-/p/215772

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The device you linked is a 10 amp hour battery. Likely it operates at 5V. According to ohms law as stated by BobTPH that's a 50 watt hour battery. Same thing just a different way of looking at it. There's probably some boost circuit built in so that it can supply a full 5 volts even as the battery is depleted. The internal battery may even be higher than 5 volts. To attain 10 amp hour life at 5 volts it could be a 12 volt battery with internal circuitry to maintain proper output for that length of time. Remember, if 10 amps at 5 volts equals 50 watts then 4.17 amps at 12 volts also equals 50 watts. The power is the same, just using a different starting voltage. I'm not saying there's a 12 volt battery in your power bank, just saying that it COULD be a higher voltage. IF it were a 9.6V battery then its amperage per hour rating would likely be 5.2 amp hours. 5.2 A x 9.6 V = 50 W.

In the end, the conclusion of the matter is that if it IS a true 50 watt battery for charging your cell phones then it's going to HAVE AVAILABLE enough power to charge whatever you plug into it. As for fast charge? That may depend on the device being charged. Just because the device is touted as a fast charging power bank that only means whatever is being charged can be charged at its optimal rate. And again, that depends on the device being charged.

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
May be I miss something. I use my ordinary 3 point plug for all chargers.
So, if i charge a mobile that has turbo charger, does not that mean that normal hours extended to more minutes .is it not?
Do i have to use bigger plugs for power banks

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I do not know what is your "3 point plug".
My Bluehive powerbank is 16000mAh and is charged from the micro USB jack on my computer. It has a digital display of the amount of charge.
It has two ordinary size USB outputs, one output provides up to 2.1A for fast charging and the other output provides up to 1A for ordinary charging. Both outputs can be used at the same time.

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
I mentioned the ordinary 3 pin plug from which I use to charge with the mobile chargers.
I think Bluehive powerbank is not available in India.
It is nice to know, that it provides 2.1amp in one output and 1 amp in another port.
i read some where that I have to take volt and current before planning to buy.
does that mean, that i can charge my moto g4 plus of 3000 mah capacity,which has 15 watt charger turbo charger.
i ask this forum because of this .
So, do you mean that i could just use any power bank that has both fast charging and ordy charging ports.
Then why the concept of turbo chargers for mobile
how the volt affects this charging. Should I also look for similar voltage as in the mobile while buying the power bank.
Normally no one looks for these specifications, when buying in local markets .
would you please give details about your fast charging of 2.1a and 1 amp, will it take the required voltage themselves for the mobile device or should we look for them in power bank specifications
And also say, that ordinary 3 point plug socket whether could be used to charge the power bank.
I am newbie in electrical knowledge and i do not want to brick my device or pb

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
electricity is common thro the universe. What I want to know is, what is the output of 2.1 amp and 1 amp port in your bluehive. Can we charge with those kind of fast charging and normal charging with the fast charging mobiles and ordinary mobiles. I may choose brands available in india of the same . There are so much brands in that , that i have to be choosy and the current and voltage compatibility. Normally it takes 4 hours to charge normally in a ordinary phone and one and half hours in case of fast charging mobiles. Now I think I made my point clear
I think that it is not feasible to charge ordinary mobile to fast charge and vice versa. am i correct

Last edited:

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
My Bluehive powerbank has a 5V micro USB jack for charging its battery from the USB output on a computer and it has two normal-size 5V USB outputs for feeding the charging inputs on mobile phones.

The 5V/2.1A USB output on my powerbank can fast charge a mobile phone that can take 2.1A. The 2.1A output can also provide 1A to an ordinary mobile phone and the 1A output can slowly charge a mobile phone that can be fast charged with 2.1A.

Attachments

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
I think that the power bank comes with a specific watt capable charger to power itself full for use.
A power bank that has two usb output for 2 is ideal for charging fast and ordinary phones will be ideal for me.
But power banks do not clearly put those words in their products confusing with type c , type a etc.
I will try to have alternative to bluehive in online stores in india. Thanks .
The last two sentences really are cleanly explained. by the by, how do we know the charging watt of the power bank like bluehive 16000 mah
Do all power banks have this watt capacity with their chargers
The 5V/2.1A USB output on my powerbank can fast charge a mobile phone that can take 2.1A. The 2.1A output can also provide 1A to an ordinary mobile phone and the 1A output can slowly charge a mobile phone that can be fast charged with 2.1A .
fan with 3 blades or 4 blades is simple to understand than fan with some technical terms

Last edited:

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The Lithium battery in a powerbank and in a mobile phone is fully charged at 4.2V but newer ones are 3.65V.
USB is a standard 5V then the powerbank and the mobile phone have a charging circuit with a 5V input and a 4.2V or 3.65V charger circuit output.
The powerbank has a converter to produce a 5V output when its internal battery is from 3V when nearly dead to 4.2V when fully charged.

Why do you talk about Watts which depends on voltage and current? Talk about current instead.

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
are those batteries replaceable inside the power bank. do all power bank batteries have replaceable .
why they do not give in their specifications. I think that all power bank have batteries .

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
how do we know the charging watt of the power bank like bluehive 16000 mah
That is like asking how fast can a car go if it has a 20 gallon gas tank.

The maH specification is just the size of the gas tank.

The specifications of the powerbank must include a voltage and a current.

The voltage MUST match that required by the phone or other device. For phones this is nearly always 5V.

The power it is capable of delivering for charging is the voltage times the current. If a 5V charger can output 2A then it can charge at 10W.

But that is not the whole story. A device will only slow charge unless the charger tells it it can go higher. And that depends on what phone or device you are talking about. Many will only fast charge on chargers provided by the manufacturer. Many clone chargers have cracked the code and can fast charge some phones, particularly Apple ones.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
My Bluehive powerbank is about 4 years old. It is sealed so the battery is not replaceable. A new one is still made today and costs over 4 times what I paid.