Digital Design - Restorative Logic vs Transmission gate using nMos/pMos

Ross Satchell

Joined Jan 2, 2017
Hi,
I am studying for an upcoming digital design exam and have in my notes that a transmission gate is not restorative logic (ie. It does not clean dirty 1's or 0's).
So I'm trying to figure out how to create a buffer that implements restorative logic using nMos and pMos FETs.
All of the googling I have done returns either dental or punitive measures, so I figure I'm using the wrong terms.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Ok, so I wouldn't normally respond to this question, but I can't help but wonder - what are dental measures? Is it like false teeth?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm not sure it has much relevance. IIRC it was common in the days of magnetic cores which fell out of fashion in the mid 1970's

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi,
I am studying for an upcoming digital design exam and have in my notes that a transmission gate is not restorative logic (ie. It does not clean dirty 1's or 0's).
So I'm trying to figure out how to create a buffer that implements restorative logic using nMos and pMos FETs.
All of the googling I have done returns either dental or punitive measures, so I figure I'm using the wrong terms.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
You are looking for a buffer -- which is usually implanted as two cascaded inverters. Noise immunity can be further improved by using Schmitt trigger inputs.