Digital clock with 4060 and 4026

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
Hello there,
I have chosen the digital clock as a project for my university. the project weighs 30% of the module's marks. I implemented the circuit but I can't make it work properly , if anyone can offer me help it would be much much appreciated. I have used danyk.cz's schematic and used dathsgarage.dk's implementation of the circuit. if anyone interested to help i suggest to go to these two links to take a look and have a better understanding.

http://dathsgarage.dk/electronics/breadboard-integrated-circuit-digital-clock/
http://danyk.cz/hodiny_en.html

thanks in advance.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I would have thought for a university project you would be required to DESIGN the the clock rather than just copy someone else's design. I would also expect that you would be expected to be able to explain how it worked.

Les.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
In many countries copying a project seems good enough at the bachelor level. I've noticed that even Cornell encourages their electronics students to use completed projects on the web for ideas. They do require some original content be added and the original author to be identified and grants permission.

Last edited:

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
I would have thought for a university project you would be required to DESIGN the clock rather than just copy someone else's design. I would also expect that you would be expected to be able to explain how it worked.

Les.
I totally agree with you, but I want you to consider the fact that I am a computer science major and this is the first module I study that talks about digital circuits and logic gates. I will be studying embedded systems next semester.

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
Please post the material on this site and tell us what isn't working.
I have copied dathsgarage's connections exactly, yet it is not working properly when connected. the components and the material can be seen in the schematic that's on daynk.cz . could it be a resistance or capacitance problem? or a connection problem? I don't think that it is a connection problem, because I have checked everything and made sure that everything is nice and tight.

and sorry for the mess i have made with the wirings...WhatsApp Image 2021-01-07 at 5.03.41 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-01-07 at 5.03.41 PM (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-01-07 at 5.03.41 PM (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-01-07 at 5.03.41 PM (4).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-01-07 at 5.03.41 PM (5).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-01-07 at 5.03.41 PM (6).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-01-07 at 5.03.41 PM.jpeg

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
I'll ask again. What isn't working properly?
We prefer schematics to pictures of breadboards. The only time we need to see a breadboard is if we think there might be a wiring problem.
here's the schematic i have followed . the whole clock is not functioning right.
1610035539897.pngh

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
Are you getting the expected output from the CD4060?
No, I am not. the 4060 is supposed to be the controller, yet it is not responding when I click on any of the buttons. the segments in the seconds' display are only lighting a few segments and they're not counting any numbers, they're just emitting light.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The 4060 is only an oscillator followed by a counter. I don't like this design. It assumes that the LED displays will work well from 1.4 volts DC -that is not how visible LEDs are operated in the real world. In the real world (well, the one I believe in anyway) they are driven by current sources or voltage sources through resistors, the latter being the most common for clocks That's for starters and a clue that the designer is just too clever to produce a good design.

I suggest you find a new project to copy. This one is likely to lead you through many problems before it starts working.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Think of it as a bonus that it is not working. If it had worked you would have learned nothing. Now you will have to follow the description of how it works so you can use the way it is not working to help you start looking in the right part of the circuit. As you have still not described how it is not working Dennis is starting from the beginning. You would normally decide where to start from the symptoms. For example if the seconds and minutes were displaying correctly but the hours were not incrementing you would start looking around IO6 and IO7.

Les.

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
The 4060 is only an oscillator followed by a counter. I don't like this design. It assumes that the LED displays will work well from 1.4 volts DC -that is not how visible LEDs are operated in the real world. In the real world (well, the one I believe in anyway) they are driven by current sources or voltage sources through resistors, the latter being the most common for clocks That's for starters and a clue that the designer is just too clever to produce a good design.

I suggest you find a new project to copy. This one is likely to lead you through many problems before it starts working.
I wish I could go for that option, but it's too late. I am trying to find what is the problem with it, I rewired everything more than thrice, I've spent a lot of days trying to figure out the problem and still can't find a solution for it.

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
Think of it as a bonus that it is not working. If it had worked you would have learned nothing. Now you will have to follow the description of how it works so you can use the way it is not working to help you start looking in the right part of the circuit. As you have still not described how it is not working Dennis is starting from the beginning. You would normally decide where to start from the symptoms. For example if the seconds and minutes were displaying correctly but the hours were not incrementing you would start looking around IO6 and IO7.

Les.
The seconds nor the minutes nor the hours are incrementing, in fact, the hours and minutes are not even lighting up.

here's a picture of what it looks like when I plug in the power, it stays like this, it doesn't move.
1610038854509.png

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The seconds nor the minutes nor the hours are incrementing, in fact, the hours and minutes are not even lighting up.
You need to be more disciplined. Start at the beginning and insure that things are working as expected. Since you aren't getting the expected results from the timebase, start there. If you can't get it working, try breadboarding that portion alone. That's something you should have done from the start. Just because someone else designed it, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to learn how it works.

EDIT: corrected typo.

Last edited:

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
You need to be more disciplined. Start at the beginning and insure that things are working as expected. Since you aren't getting the expected results from the timebase, start there. If you can't get it working, try breadboarding that portion alone. That's something you should have done from the start. Just because someone else designed it, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to learn how it works.

EDIT: corrected typo.
didn't think of that honeslty. i was fooled by the blog where it showed the sleek look of the wiring and stuff