Digital clock with 4060 and 4026

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
I was going by the original circuit in post #8, which is also the same as that in the Nat Semi datasheet (although values slightly different.)
I'm also a little suspicious that the two 22pf capacitors might not be in fact what they should be: they look like high value ones to me?
If they are correct, have you tried a different crystal, the current one may be bad?
have removed the resistance that is connected from pin 10 to 11 in the 4060 ic and the seconds increment manually just like how I want it to be, but still, the seconds only counts to 39 and resets and doesn't change the minutes and the minutes button doesn't work, also I am trying to figure out why there are some segments that are not lighting up

sarahMCML

Joined May 11, 2019
have removed the resistance that is connected from pin 10 to 11 in the 4060 ic and the seconds increment manually just like how I want it to be, but still, the seconds only counts to 39 and resets and doesn't change the minutes and the minutes button doesn't work, also I am trying to figure out why there are some segments that are not lighting up
The resistor between pins 10 and 11 needs to be around 10M ohms, and the circuit definitely will not work without it. For the 470K resistor, you could try reducing this down using other values, down to say 100K, just in case the crystal needs a little more drive. Do try another crystal if you have one, and check those 22pf capacitors!

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
There are some wiring errors in the LED displays. Double-check where the pins actually start and end. You might be off by one in some places.
I did that already and some of them actually started working, but the pin that connects to C on the second display from the right doesn't respond at all (despite the fact that I checked its wiring more than 8 times)

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
First rule of debugging, whether code or electronics- step back, do the smallest fraction of what you're trying to accomplish, and make that work- then take the next step. Far easier to solve a few or one problem, then many or unknown quantities...

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I did that already and some of them actually started working, but the pin that connects to C on the second display from the right doesn't respond at all (despite the fact that I checked its wiring more than 8 times)
Then verify the breadboard works in the pin-hole; Verify that the segment in the display actually works, and isn't fried. Easy to do with a VMM with a diode tester, or a coin-cell battery and leads.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Think about the logic that makes the seconds count change from 59 to 00 and think about the bits that are different between changing from 59 to zero and the bits that change from 39 to zero. Looking at that takes you right to the fault. and I did verify from the wiring pictures that this was correct. This is the way you should be thinking about fault finding. This is not the normal way you would make the count roll over at 60. I think it is likely your teacher will ask you to explain how it works. Looking at this problem logically will teach to you how it works. If we just tell you where the faults are you do not lean anything.
I had to draw out the segment patterns on paper to understand how it worked as I have not seen this method used before.

Les.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Think about the logic that makes the seconds count change from 59 to 00 and think about the bits that are different between changing from 59 to zero and the bits that change from 39 to zero. Looking at that takes you right to the fault. and I did verify from the wiring pictures that this was correct. This is the way you should be thinking about fault finding. This is not the normal way you would make the count roll over at 60. I think it is likely your teacher will ask you to explain how it works. Looking at this problem logically will teach to you how it works. If we just tell you where the faults are you do not lean anything.
I had to draw out the segment patterns on paper to understand how it worked as I have not seen this method used before.

Les.
Hence why people need to learn how to do flow-charts....

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
i am really grateful to have entered such a community that helps and understands. as LesJones said earlier, i must know the logic that makes the clock count, and I have figured out what I did wrong.

the counting uses diode-resistor logic , i discovered that i had a diode connected to a wrong pin , now i can increment everything manually and it counts but i think i friend a segment and the clock is not counting on its own like a normal clock would do. the hour

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
here's the schematic i have followed . the whole clock is not functioning right.
View attachment 227082h
Suggestion-

Separate the whole circuit into smaller functional parts.
Get each part working until the whole circuit is working.

Start with the 4060.
First ensure the 4060 is working correctly....the whole clock will not function correctly if it isn't.
If you don't have a scope, try changing the 4060 frequency to something you can easily see with a voltmeter, like maybe 1.6 Hz, so you can visually troubleshoot.

Once you get the 4060 working, move on to one 4026 and display, one at a time, and get each one working before interconnecting them.

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
Suggestion-

Separate the whole circuit into smaller functional parts.
Get each part working until the whole circuit is working.

Start with the 4060.
First ensure the 4060 is working correctly....the whole clock will not function correctly if it isn't.
If you don't have a scope, try changing the 4060 frequency to something you can easily see with a voltmeter, like maybe 1.6 Hz, so you can visually troubleshoot.

Once you get the 4060 working, move on to one 4026 and display, one at a time, and get each one working before interconnecting them.
unfortunately , i don't have the tools to get creative and technical

sarahMCML

Joined May 11, 2019
unfortunately , i don't have the tools to get creative and technical
If you cannot get the crystal oscillator circuit working, try the alternative RC version shown in the datasheet. If that works, it will prove that that section of the chip is working. This will at least suggest that there may be a fault with the crystal itself, or associated component values. If the RC circuit doesn't work, that section may be defective!

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
If the clock generator is not running then the hours and minute buttons will not work as expected. These buttons will only do something if on IO1 the state (0 or 1) of pin 6 (For the minutes button) or pin 9 ( For the hours button.) is different from the state of pin 3. With the clock not running pressing a button will only increment the seconds display every OTHER press. These pins will be in random states as there is nothing in the circuit to reset their state to 0. You could use a LED and series resistor (Say 4.7K) connected between ground and pin 3 to show if the clock was running. (NOTE the LED mist be connected with it's cathode to ground.) If it is working the LED should flash twice per second.

Les.

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
If the clock generator is not running then the hours and minute buttons will not work as expected. These buttons will only do something if on IO1 the state (0 or 1) of pin 6 (For the minutes button) or pin 9 ( For the hours button.) is different from the state of pin 3. With the clock not running pressing a button will only increment the seconds display every OTHER press. These pins will be in random states as there is nothing in the circuit to reset their state to 0. You could use a LED and series resistor (Say 4.7K) connected between ground and pin 3 to show if the clock was running. (NOTE the LED mist be connected with it's cathode to ground.) If it is working the LED should flash twice per second.

Les.
can you explain more?

the crystal is fine. I just have a problem with the buttons and the clock's oscillation.

it used to oscillate in the beginning on its own

Last edited:

sarahMCML

Joined May 11, 2019
can you explain more?

the crystal is fine. I just have a problem with the buttons and the clock's oscillation.

it used to oscillate in the beginning on its own
If you have tried LesJones' idea of a resistor and LED between pin 3 and ground, and it isn't flashing slowly, then the oscillator just isn't running! Either the crystal is now dead, not running, you still have a bad connection somewhere, or the IC has died. Can you replace it with another 4060 to check?

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
If you have tried LesJones' idea of a resistor and LED between pin 3 and ground, and it isn't flashing slowly, then the oscillator just isn't running! Either the crystal is now dead, not running, you still have a bad connection somewhere, or the IC has died. Can you replace it with another 4060 to check?
can you draw the connection ??