Digital clock with 4060 and 4026

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Try connecting the the 4060 oscillator circuit as in the schematic. In the pictures of your layout one side of the crystal only seems to be connected to the 22 pf capacitor. Its should also be connected to pin 11. Without that there will be no feedback to make the oscillator work. I was just about to build the oscillator circuit to check that it worked with the suggested component values and with a selection of different crystals (I normally remove the from dead watches and clocks so I have quite a few of them.) when I noticed this error. I will now wait to do this.
I will wait for you try adding the missing connection.
Which time zone are you in so we have an idea when you are likely to be active on the form as you have given no information about your location in your profile ?

Les.

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
For a quick indication whether the oscillator is work, If the power supply is connected correctly the output of the oscillator should show an DC voltage as measured my a DVM of around half the supply voltage. Some offset from 50% level is ok but if is stuck at Vdd or Vee then it is not oscillating.

The capacitors on the crystal look pretty hefty for 22 pf. Are you sure they are the correct value.

1610189610454.png
You probably need that resistor in series with the drive to the crystal (330k above) and you might have to tweak the value for reliable on-frequency operation.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I built the oscillator part of the circuit using the suggested component values and it worked using the first crystal I pick out of my junk box.

Les.

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
Try connecting the the 4060 oscillator circuit as in the schematic. In the pictures of your layout one side of the crystal only seems to be connected to the 22 pf capacitor. Its should also be connected to pin 11. Without that there will be no feedback to make the oscillator work. I was just about to build the oscillator circuit to check that it worked with the suggested component values and with a selection of different crystals (I normally remove the from dead watches and clocks so I have quite a few of them.) when I noticed this error. I will now wait to do this.
I will wait for you try adding the missing connection.
Which time zone are you in so we have an idea when you are likely to be active on the form as you have given no information about your location in your profile ?

Les.
thanks for your feedback . i am from egypt.

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
For a quick indication whether the oscillator is work, If the power supply is connected correctly the output of the oscillator should show an DC voltage as measured my a DVM of around half the supply voltage. Some offset from 50% level is ok but if is stuck at Vdd or Vee then it is not oscillating.

The capacitors on the crystal look pretty hefty for 22 pf. Are you sure they are the correct value.

View attachment 227230
You probably need that resistor in series with the drive to the crystal (330k above) and you might have to tweak the value for reliable on-frequency operation.
I don't care about precise values as much as I care about getting the clock to work. I am swapping capacitors and resistance to see if it will oscillate or not.

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
I replaced the crystal and still, not oscillating. the buttons are not working now.

I am starting to lose hope really hahaha.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE OUT FOR A WHOLEEE WEEEK DUUUUUDEEEE
We know you’re frustrated

We’ve seen your attempts.

But we haven’t seen you respond to the miswiring of the crystal. Is one side (of the crystal) connected to pin 11 and the other connected to pin 10?

A simple yes or no (without shouting) is all that is necessary.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I made a mistake on the post number. It should have been post #61. I used the post number from where you quoted my post.
Does it work with the missing connection added ?

Les.

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
We know you’re frustrated

We’ve seen your attempts.

But we haven’t seen you respond to the miswiring of the crystal. Is one side (of the crystal) connected to pin 11 and the other connected to pin 10?

A simple yes or no (without shouting) is all that is necessary.
yes, that's how I connected it. it is shown in the picture I've copied from and shown in the schematic

sarahMCML

Joined May 11, 2019
i've replaced the 470K resistor with 100K

View attachment 227252
I eventually found a 4060 and wired the circuit up just as you have in your last post, using 10M and 470K resistors as per original, and fed it into the following 4026 IC, and it worked perfectly! So I suggest you either DO have a dud crystal, dud 4060, or bad connection in your board somewhere.
Please try the RC oscillator version on the datasheet to test the 4060, if you can't substitute another 4060.

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
Dude....you really need to buy a multimeter. You can get one for $10 USD or less...:cool:

without one is like trying to fix a broken engine without tools....
The thing is I am not gonna be dealing with electricity for so long. I love electric circuits and I love to learn about them and understand how they work. Maybe in the near future, I will buy an avometer for personal projects because I am planning to dive deeper into digital circuits, but now I am struggling with a project that needed time more than I thought. I am learning from my mistakes, guess that's what engineers always do huh:p.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I am learning from my mistakes, guess that's what engineers always do huh
hahaha That depends entirely on the engineer. I guess we could say that all successful engineers learn from their mistakes and the others do not get promoted quickly -and there are exceptions to that too.

1610217946459.png
In post I used American slang, I'm sorry In post 65 I said the 2 22pf capacitors looked pretty hefty for such low value capacitors. There the slang means "large and heavy", in other words, they look like they might be too big to be 22 pf.

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
View attachment 227256
In post I used American slang, I'm sorry In post 65 I said the 2 22pf capacitors looked pretty hefty for such low value capacitors. There the slang means "large and heavy", in other words, they look like they might be too big to be 22 pf.
yea I understood what you said earlier, but I am just confused because I had the same capacitors and the clock was working (was functioning as a normal digital clock would do), but now it's not.

mahran666

Joined Jan 6, 2021
hahaha That depends entirely on the engineer. I guess we could say that all successful engineers learn from their mistakes and the others do not get promoted quickly -and there are exceptions to that too.

View attachment 227256
Make it out of college safe then I will see about that promotion controversy myself ;)