Diagram for 4 lead / wire stepper motor

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
Hi,

I would like to find a circuit diagram for my bipolar stepper motor with 4 wires / leads. And only 4 wires.

When I search for it all I can find is diagrams that seems to require 5 wires from the motor. Even if it says 4 wires in the title. Maybe I don't read the diagram correctly?

oh, and the components should include the 555 timer and 4017 IC.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You have a Bi-polar stepper, rather than the uni-polar version, by the sound of it.
They require a slightly more electronics for the drive, but usually posses a higher torque than their Uni-polar counter-part.

sarahMCML

Joined May 11, 2019
Hi,

I would like to find a circuit diagram for my bipolar stepper motor with 4 wires / leads. And only 4 wires.

When I search for it all I can find is diagrams that seems to require 5 wires from the motor. Even if it says 4 wires in the title. Maybe I don't read the diagram correctly?

oh, and the components should include the 555 timer and 4017 IC.
Do you really want to design something yourself, or will a ready made module suit you. We need to know the voltage and current ratings of the motor, and your experience level.

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
Don't want to invent the deep plate. I just can't find a simple diagram for a bipolar stepper motor (with 4 wires) that includes a 555 timer and a 4017 ic (and then a H-bridge I presume). Something simple for 12 volts. I have no idea how much current, but I am not too worried about that. it's a hobby stepper motor that everybody has. I have various of small stepper motors.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Look up the modules LMD18200 & L298N they can be had already mounted on a PCT board cheap on line.
'They will drive a Bi-polar stepper.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What voltage/current are the motors?
With steppers it is important to maintain the exact rated current throughout the RPM range that you are using.
The inductive reactance increases with RPM in a stepper, so some means has to be used in order to keep this current constant.

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
I didn't mean to make you design a complete new circuit. I thought I was the only one who couldn't find a circuit already made for this purpose. But hey, maybe other people also find it useful in the future.

I would love to see how a circuit could look like and I would definitely learn a lot from it. I think I will be able to modify your circuit to make it run both ways if I need it to.

well I would also like to see a circuit without the 4017. To learn how to design 4 steps without a counter.

This didn't give you that much to work on with did it :)

sarahMCML

Joined May 11, 2019
I didn't mean to make you design a complete new circuit. I thought I was the only one who couldn't find a circuit already made for this purpose. But hey, maybe other people also find it useful in the future.

I would love to see how a circuit could look like and I would definitely learn a lot from it. I think I will be able to modify your circuit to make it run both ways if I need it to.

well I would also like to see a circuit without the 4017. To learn how to design 4 steps without a counter.

This didn't give you that much to work on with did it :)
There are lots on the web in fact, but most of those using a 4017 are for driving Unipolar steppers in wave drive mode. I've include a simple circuit which produces drive for full step mode, but it still needs things like shoot through delay and the output stages with current control to be really safe for your motors. It's great fun building everything from scratch, but much less expensive in the long run to just purchase something like a TMC2208, or equivalent. Its the size of a small postage stamp, would suit your 1.7A motor, can do numerous different types of stepping cycles, and costs less than £5. But it's not as much fun!
If you need any more circuitry, I can give you ideas of what I've been playing with oer the last 6 months or so.
Regards,
Sarah.

4017+OR.png

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
This one for example shows a 4 wire motor but the diagram requires 5 wires, right?
https://www.circuits-diy.com/stepper-motor-controller-circuit/
This image is taken from your link.
Bi Polar Stepper.png

The center taps are not used. Your link goes on to explain:

In the BIPOLAR stepper motor, we have phase ends and no center taps. So, the bipolar stepper motor has a single winding per phase and only 4 leads to connect two sets of internal electromagnet coils. The driving of this type of stepper motor is different and complex and also the driving circuit cannot be easily designed without a microcontroller. Hereby changing the direction of current through the motor coils forward and reverse steps can be achieved, this might more complicated than unipolar but the H-bridge and stepper motor driver circuits make it very simple.
This is a really good timing example.

There are lots on the web in fact, but most of those using a 4017 are for driving Unipolar steppers in wave drive mode. I've include a simple circuit which produces drive for full step mode, but it still needs things like shoot through delay and the output stages with current control to be really safe for your motors. It's great fun building everything from scratch, but much less expensive in the long run to just purchase something like a TMC2208, or equivalent. Its the size of a small postage stamp, would suit your 1.7A motor, can do numerous different types of stepping cycles, and costs less than £5. But it's not as much fun!
If you need any more circuitry, I can give you ideas of what I've been playing with oer the last 6 months or so.
Regards,
Sarah.

View attachment 288150

Ron

christiannielsen

Joined Jun 30, 2019
Ron: When you say it is not easily designet without a microcontroller I presume that it wouldn't be possible to do with a 4017 together with NPN and PNP transistors or mosfets? Not even for just one direction?

All the bipolar stepper motor need is each wire to go high alternately and at the same time the other wires to be held low. (Sarah is it neccessary to have an OR gate to do so or do I misunderstand the need for the OR gates?)

Something like this (please bare in mind i'm not that experienced with electronics)

1677401171900.png

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Ron: When you say it is not easily designet without a microcontroller I presume that it wouldn't be possible to do with a 4017 together with NPN and PNP transistors or mosfets? Not even for just one direction?
Not me? I never said that. Matter of fact a simple Google of "4017 stepper motor driver circuit" will bring up plenty of examples. :) Sarah's example is a very good one to note the timing examples. Using a uC will get the parts count down. Example using an Arduino uC.

Ron