Datasheet Infra red receiver

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi T,
It is specified as a Generic device, so the chances of finding an actual datasheet is slim.

What is the application for the IR receiver.?
E
  • Lens: 5mm Diameter / Black / Round
  • Emitting Color: IR 940nm Receiver
  • Luminous Intensity: No
  • Receiving Angle 90 Degree
  • Forward Voltage / Current: 20mA

Tejasvi471

Joined Jun 9, 2020
Well I intended to make this circuit using these infrared receiver, which would add two current I1 + I2 = Itotal, current will be measured in Rt resistor.
but the problem is they are not adding accurately
E.g. 4ma+4ma = 8ma but the actual circuit on breadboard gives me 4ma+4ma =6.8ma

y.jpg
On the side note is this receiver Photodiode or Phototransistor ?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
  • Lens: 5mm Diameter / Black / Round
  • Emitting Color: IR 940nm Receiver
  • Luminous Intensity: No
  • Receiving Angle 90 Degree
  • Forward Voltage / Current: 20mA

Why do they list the forward current for a receiver? Most likely this is an IR LED or a phototransistor. Probably not what you want. I would not waste much time on this but instead find one that has a more credible specification.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Well I intended to make this circuit using these infrared receiver, which would add two current I1 + I2 = Itotal, current will be measured in Rt resistor.
but the problem is they are not adding accurately
E.g. 4ma+4ma = 8ma but the actual circuit on breadboard gives me 4ma+4ma =6.8ma

View attachment 272326
On the side note is this receiver Photodiode or Phototransistor ?
Those are phototransistors.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It is hard to recommend a datasheet without knowing what the application is, but attached is an example of a good photo transistor datasheet.

Some things in the datasheet might seem confusing but you would be well off by understanding them rather than skipping over them. In particular, the wavelength of peak sensitivity is important and is usually matched to the wavelength of the emitter (LED) being used.

The relative sensitivity as a function of the angle with respect to the axis of the detector tells you a lot about the directionality of the sensor -how well does the sensor reject off-axis signals.

IR photosensors will often note a sensitivity in terms of microamps per milliwatt per square meter with a wavelength specified. The more microamps out the more sensitive the sensor is.

I just wanted to call your attention to those specs which you may not see on other types of datasheets.

Attachments

Last edited: