Datasheet for NE5532D. ?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Delete the 'D', then search.
Welcome to AAC!
That SEEMS like the right answer but an NE5532 is an 8-pin op amp device and the OP's photo is a 16-pin device.
Also, the OP's chip appears to have been abraded with sandpaper or sandblasting and stamped over the roughened area.

Last edited:

Chucksue

Joined Jul 2, 2018
That SEEMS like the right answer but an NE5532 is an 8-pin op amp device and the OP's photo is a 16-pin device.
Also, the OP's chip appears to have been abraded with sandpaper or sandblasting and stamped over the roughened area. The chip has flux on it. It’s not abraided
Thank you for the help. That’s flux on top of the chip.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Since the package appears to be a fake and "S" company is not a Name-Brand then a good NE5532D dual opamp should be found as a replacement and used.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Since the package appears to be a fake and "S" company is not a Name-Brand then a good NE5532D dual opamp should be found as a replacement and used.
It’s an SMPS controller, not an opamp. The “S” is the Signetics logo. Philips owns or owned them. Some of the “NE5532D”s have the Philips logo. You can buy these on eBay and AliX. Philips does offer an NE5560 SMPS controller in an SOP-16.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
It’s an SMPS controller, not an opamp. The “S” is the Signetics logo. Philips owns or owned them. Some of the “NE5532D”s have the Philips logo. You can buy these on eBay and AliX. Philips does offer an NE5560 SMPS controller in an SOP-16.
The logo is an S but it's different than Signetics S.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I agree and forgot that the NE5532 dual opamp in this thread was designed many years ago by Signetics who also designed the NE555 timer. I worked for Philips when they bought Signetics 47 years ago but I have never seen an antique Signetics IC.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I agree and forgot that the NE5532 dual opamp in this thread was designed many years ago by Signetics who also designed the NE555 timer. I worked for Philips when they bought Signetics 47 years ago but I have never seen an antique Signetics IC.
Do you want a stack? I have some original NE555, NE5532 and NE5534 if you want some.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hello,

@Yaakov , Why do you think it is a SMPS controller?
The datasheet I posted shows a dual opamp, wich is also available in 16 pins.

Bertus
Because of this. If you search for NE5532D on AliXpress you will find other sellers as well. I know it's very strange but apparently someone is producing a (probably bogus) version of the Signetics/Philips NE55xx SMPS controller with that number. You can find the OPA as well, though only in SOP-8.

1649438028953.png1649438068034.png1649438296869.png

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I'll add that it is certainly possible that these sellers got the nature of the part wrong and it really is an OPA, but these are the only examples of the SOP-16 package and they are all marked "voltage regulator" in specifications. There is one that has "switching power supply" in the description.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I'll add that it is certainly possible that these sellers got the nature of the part wrong and it really is an OPA, but these are the only examples of the SOP-16 package and they are all marked "voltage regulator" in specifications. There is one that has "switching power supply" in the description.
Who ya gunna trust - a Signetics/Philips datasheet or Chinese ebay seller?
OP confirmed the part is not altered/sanded/sandblasted in appearance - the rough section in the photo is just flux.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I looked further and though I can't find any Chinese supplier offering Philips/Signetics NE5532D as an OPA in one, Onsemi does offer an NE5523D in an SOP-16 package. I can't find any examples of either Philips or Signetics parts in that package, they are all DIP.

So at this point I would say I really am not sure what that is. If it is the dual OPA I'd expect Onsemi's version of the chip to be pin compatible so if the TS thinks it's a dual OPA, that would probably work as a datasheet for the most part.

I will be interested in the outcome.