Curve tracer and DSO

eldoubt

Joined Mar 31, 2015
Hi,
Can a curve tracer be used as a regular DSO? Can I view the switching (V-I)characteristics of a component using curve tracer? . Please help..

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Can a curve tracer be used as a regular DSO?
Probably not, in general dedicated (purpose) instruments are just that.
Can I view the switching (V-I)characteristics of a component using curve tracer?
(I think you mean "(E-I) characteristics"...)
Of course, assuming the parameters are within the dynamic range of the instrument...:)

I apologize should my response appear over-general -- please be advised, however, that "specificitcy of response is in direct proportion to specificity of inquiry":D

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Yes, provided the scope has an XY mode. Maybe a Z-axis input (blanking) would be useful with some curve tracers.

Below is a link to a specialized "manual curve tracer" that I use to evaluate some low voltage/low current components. In this case, the independent variable is generated manually by turning a pot, which allows very slow increases, which is important for some kinds of components. Having infinite persistence makes this approach work very well, were with an analog scope that is not a storage scope, it would not be as easy to use.
As I understand the question, the OP is asking if a dedicated curve tracer (inclusive of a display) may used as a scope --- As opposed to 'may a curve-tracer be used with a scope' --- Maybe I'z all mixed up:confused::confused::confused:

Best regards
HP:)

eldoubt

Joined Mar 31, 2015
Hi,

Thanks both. Sorry that i didn't put fwd the question in the right way.

Can we observe the real time voltage signal (Voltage Vs. Time) on a curve tracer display?