Creative Inspire Speakers 2.1 Volume Control Wheel

bulava

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Hi All,

This is first post.

Due to dust or so, the said Volume Control Wheel does not work properly. Sample pic:

Volume goes to one speaker, and other gets muted. Vice versa. When I carefully turn the wheel sometimes the Volume works properly or sometimes with noise or muted one side.

As I write this, I've cleaned it up with Petrol drops. PCB is drying. I chose Petrol because Contact Cleaner is expensive solution. Am I correct or any other method could be used?

UPDATE: I tried with Petrol but it doesn't work. Some search results said it worked for some but not in my case. Volume comes in the right speaker and Sub-woofer now. When I turn the wheel cracking sound still coming.

I shall try for the Contact Cleaner else I'll buy one. but it's expensive in my country (a good one for $30+). Do you have any idea whether I could get this spare in the market? Search results say Creative doesn't make them? Very strange

THINKING: Does dumping Volume control diminishes any Sound Output or Quality? I opened the VCU but I'm not comfortable how join those leads :confused:

Thank you.

Adamf001

Joined Sep 5, 2011
It sounds like the wheel is shorting out the audio cables that lead to your speakers??
could you show us a pic of the PCB?, have you opened up the volume control?

usually dust and dirt would just block up the wheel it shouldn't cause electronic failure

bulava

Joined Oct 18, 2012
It sounds like the wheel is shorting out the audio cables that lead to your speakers??
could you show us a pic of the PCB?, have you opened up the volume control?

usually dust and dirt would just block up the wheel it shouldn't cause electronic failure
Thanks for responding. Yeah, this problem is because of dust so I don't see any electronic failure because the volume used to work properly when I very slowly turn the wheel. But since 2 days it's not working like that so I cleaned up with Petrol. As of now the Volume comes to the Right Speaker and Sub Woofer.

I called up local Creative distributors. They asked me to get the component so that they could fix it. I'll go there tomorrow and see what happens.

Just one question: will there be any problem if I directly joined the leads (bypass Volume Control). If NO, then simply joint the wires as per the color combination? Please suggest.

Thanks.

Adamf001

Joined Sep 5, 2011
I understand your question but I need more information; like

1. what are the speaker connected to?
2. a PCB picture f the volume control?

the more detailed your questions the better I can advise you....

bulava

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I understand your question but I need more information; like

1. what are the speaker connected to?
2. a PCB picture f the volume control?

the more detailed your questions the better I can advise you....
1. Speakers connected to PC (not Laptop)
2. I'll take a snap soon and upload the same

Meanwhile, what if I join the leads with *same* color codes (White, Red, Black) :confused:

Adamf001

Joined Sep 5, 2011
This is the thing, your speaker will work if you connect the wires and bypass the volume control.... BUT I don't know if its your computer or its the volume control that is amplifying your speakers,
speakers on there own can't produce a loud enough sound, Your may be ok and it will work but I'm not 100% sure because I don't know if your volume control is also an amp

How many cables do you plug into the computer? just a audio jack? or is there a power lead as well?

How many speakers do you have, just the two? sub woofer and a speaker?

bulava

Joined Oct 18, 2012
This is the thing, your speaker will work if you connect the wires and bypass the volume control.... BUT I don't know if its your computer or its the volume control that is amplifying your speakers,
speakers on there own can't produce a loud enough sound, Your may be ok and it will work but I'm not 100% sure because I don't know if your volume control is also an amp

How many cables do you plug into the computer? just a audio jack? or is there a power lead as well?

How many speakers do you have, just the two? sub woofer and a speaker?
Please see this search pic:

As we see the Volume Control, only one Audio out pin from the PC (Green color). Other Green pin goes to Sub Woofer.

This is the Snapshot of Volume Control below (please hear bad quality - no idea why this excellent Fuji Digicam churns out such pathetic quality! Probably can't handle macro snaps?).

As you could see, there is a six-pin connector. My point was:

a) Remove connector
b) Cut all six wires
c) Join then as per Color

Will this work? :confused:

Last edited:

Adamf001

Joined Sep 5, 2011
Yes as long as the speaker themselves are amplifying the audio signal from your computer, The power cable to me suggests that the sub woofer has a amplifier so ...

YES the connection of the wires will work fine, you'll just have to use the volume control on your Computer

If not let me know

bulava

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Yes as long as the speaker themselves are amplifying the audio signal from your computer, The power cable to me suggests that the sub woofer has a amplifier so ...

YES the connection of the wires will work fine, you'll just have to use the volume control on your Computer

If not let me know
Please see this Sub Woofer picture:

Power comes from the AC adapter to the Sub Woofer pin (right to Green LED). So it's clear that Speaker set does the amplification :confused: If so, I'll go ahead and join the leads as per color codes.

PS: Is it OK if I manually join the wires and tape it or use 3-pin male/female connector (no idea if they are available or not). Please reply.

Thanks

Last edited:

bulava

Joined Oct 18, 2012
UPDATE: I did join those wires. Speakers are working flawlessly. Still, I'll try to hunt down this spare locally or get it from the US or UK. But I don't know if I could find one in those countries? Thanks for the support :)

Adamf001

Joined Sep 5, 2011
Great, glad to help, Hope you find your part,
if your confident in electronics you could always make your own from much sturdier components???

UPDATE: I did join those wires. Speakers are working flawlessly. Still, I'll try to hunt down this spare locally or get it from the US or UK. But I don't know if I could find one in those countries? Thanks for the support :)
How did you connect the wires? There are 2 wires from jack (white and red) and 3 wires going in subwoofer(blue, green and yellow). Which wire should be connected to which one? Can you please help me in this?

Mozzdul

Joined Nov 7, 2016
I have similar problem. I want to short the wires ditching the volume control and power handle. Three colored wires RED BLACK WHITE are entering the module from 3.5 mm jack. And 5 colored wires RED BLACK WHITE BLUE YELLOW are leaving to the sub woofer system. But I'm confused how to connect all these together.
you need to short the wires as folows

red-yellow

white-blue

black-green

I have one creative 2.1 speaker (creative inspire t3130). Volume control is not working for my speaker. I was just trying to bypass the volume control but not sure which wires should I join.

Three colored wires RED BLACK WHITE are entering the module from 3.5 mm jack. And 5 colored wires RED BLACK WHITE BLUE YELLOW are leaving to the sub woofer system.

Any help on which wires should I join. I have posted some pics.

Attachments