Create a multi lamp circuit. One DC source. One switch per lamp. One lamp at a time only

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I tried to explain it in my later reply. It will probably only be 2 lights but same principle. Any primary switch can be closed (by movement - slight pressure like a ball in a pin ball machine) first followed by the others in rapid order. It is NOT a game by the way. But once the first switch is closed/ first lamp on, the others are locked out and can not illuminate until switch one is opened. Then the sequence would start again. You can probably see what I am trying to do in my layman's schematic.
Thanks again
Which to me is a radio button circuit… but what do I know.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So here's my take on AK's suggested relay circuit with steering and spike suppression diodes, which I agree are needed for my understanding of what the TS wants:
(Apologies AK. I did this design before I read your post).

Whichever switch is actuated first will lock out the other two.

1647584787134.png

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The TS says the first switch activated will stay closed and then should ignore any subsequent switch closures.
I don't think it's defined as to what a radio button circuit does if one switch stays closed and then a second switch is closed.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I tried to explain it in my later reply. It will probably only be 2 lights but same principle. Any primary switch can be closed (by movement - slight pressure like a ball in a pin ball machine) first followed by the others in rapid order. It is NOT a game by the way. But once the first switch is closed/ first lamp on, the others are locked out and can not illuminate until switch one is opened. Then the sequence would start again. You can probably see what I am trying to do in my layman's schematic.
Thanks again
You keep making contradictory statements. That is confusing those trying to help.
Are there two lights or three lights? Are the switches toggle switches or momentary pushbuttons?
What is supposed to happen when one switch is on? honk a horn? Kick the dog? Ring a bell? what?

You can probably do what you want with just toggle switches...

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks again
IF you would tell use what you actually want to do it would be very helpful. Your "simplified" case makes things much harder for those trying to help you. Each time you add a little information it changes things more than you expect because you don't know what information is important—or you wouldn't ne asking for help.

It would also help if you would try being a little flexible and not insist the solution be scaled to your ignorance. Transistors, ICs, and other devices are a much better solution in almost every case and if you allow us to explain how to use them you might find it very straghtforward after a bit of confusion at the beginning.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Except in radio buttons the mutual exclusivity does not include requiring the currently selected switch to be turned of before allowing a new selection. They can be operated as both selection and reset where here the reset function is tied to the active switch.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thanks MisterBill2. I posted my own solution using relays. Yours might be a solution too but I am not familiar with"wiper". Was there a diagram?
Brewster
OK, and a fair question. In a mutiposition switch, the "wiper" is the part that is common to the connection for all of the positions. In a two position switch like I was describing it is the terminal that will connect to either of the other terminals. It is sometimes also called the "common" switch termina, but that can be confused with the power supply common connection, sometimes called "ground", which is often incorrect.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A similar function is used in the mechanical "winner" detection system for Cub Scout ""Pinewood DErby" race cars. The first to cross the finish line is the winner. I designed a circuit, using relays, for a four lane track about 30 years ago. It used multiple contact relays and 24 volt light bulbs. I don't recall any details except that it worked.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Attached is my original circuit. When I started looking for relays, I encountered terms like backspike which could damage LEDs etc. Transistors (also beyond my grasp) could have heat problems. It was getting too complex for amateur me. So the YouTube video in my original post gave me hope to design a circuit using just hard wired multi throw switches but I could not invent a solution. Attached is my original circuit and any problems you see would be appreciated. If any of S1, S2, or S3 are closed, the corresponding LED will illuminate Their relays are normally closed. With this device, S2 and S3 WILL be powered a mini second later but any one could come on first. That is the one I want to stay on until its S1, S2, or S3 is opened again. EX: if S1 is closed, current will flow through that branch of the circuit but will also power relays 2 and 3 to OPEN their load sides. Hence S2 and S3 become redundant if they close because continuity is broken at the relays. My biggest problem is finding inexpensive small relays. There are tons of switches I can find. The smaller the components the better for this application. Will a 9 volt DC do the trick and power a lamp and both sides of 2 relays? Is there a solid state solution without me getting my Engineering degree? Also concerned that the mechanical relays might not be fast enough.
Thanks
BrewsterView attachment 263068
For this circuit two changes are needed, First, the relay coils need to be connected to the other side of the LEDs, and second, each switch only needs to operate the two relays for the other two lights. No diodes required..

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Except in radio buttons the mutual exclusivity does not include requiring the currently selected switch to be turned of before allowing a new selection.
But isn’t a function of a radio button circuit to turn off all other devices before turning on the selected device? Doesn’t that satisfy the currently selected switch to be turned off?

Or are you saying that the currently selected switch must be manually turned off before a different selection can be made?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Or are you saying that the currently selected switch must be manually turned off before a different selection can be made?
I'm saying that a radio-button circuit normally uses momentary push-buttons for control, so what the circuit does with more than one switch closed is not normally defined.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
But isn’t a function of a radio button circuit to turn off all other devices before turning on the selected device? Doesn’t that satisfy the currently selected switch to be turned off?

That is what I understand the TS to be requiring but to be honest the goalposts seem to be moving around enough that I have no idea where they will end up.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I'm saying that a radio-button circuit normally uses momentary push-buttons for control, so what the circuit does with more than one switch closed is not normally defined.
ok…. And I’m saying that your “normal” is not a requirement… The circuit can be made to function with toggle switches and satisfy the TS requirements. I’ve been busy “celebrating” St. Patrick’s Day in Boston. I’ll try to post a schematic soon.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Not arguing but as you know radio buttons got their name from the mechanically interlocked buttons on a car radio. They weren’t really momentary. The would latch and release the last button that had latched on.

So unless you use a starfish switch that can be disengaged electrically an electronic implementation of radio buttons is going to have to use momentary switches with latching indicators that can be electronically operated.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
From the original post:
The problem here is that when a second light switch is triggered, it can't power up but this config. also kills power to the one that is on. I need the illuminated one to stay on until it is reset.
I think that is clear. Once a light is on, the others are locked out until its switch is turned off. That is not the radio buttons operate.

Bob

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
3-pole switch - ? Ummm ... nope.
Actually my first thought WAS to use 3-pole switches, and it could work. BUT given the complexity, it would be a lot of wires.
And it seems that Tony is probably right. The alternative is to use double pole relays. Then the diodes are not required for isolation.
BUT that fixation with transient diodes is a pain, as they are usually not required. At east, in the most of the circuits that I have used over the years. Just change from LEDs to incandescent lights and there is no problem.