Coronavirus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Don't even notice it unless I poke at it... Same as my yearly Flu shot.
I'm on the VA wait list for my plague shot. I really think people should get it if eligible before the recent virus strains hit the US case population.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7003e2.htm?s_cid=mm7003e2_w

Summary
What is already known about this topic?

A more highly transmissible variant of SARS-CoV-2, B.1.1.7, has been detected in start highlight12end highlight U.S. states.

What is added by this report?

Modeling data indicate that B.1.1.7 has the potential to increase the U.S. pandemic trajectory in the coming months. CDC’s system for genomic surveillance and the effort to expand sequencing will increase the availability of timely U.S. genomic surveillance data.

What are the implications for public health practice?

The increased transmissibility of the B.1.1.7 variant warrants universal and increased compliance with mitigation strategies, including distancing and masking. Higher vaccination coverage might need to be achieved to protect the public. Genomic sequence analysis through the National SARS-CoV-2 Strain Surveillance program will enable a targeted approach to identifying variants of concern in the United States.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/22/bor...ariant-associated-with-higher-mortality-.html
Speaking alongside Johnson on Friday, the U.K.’s chief scientific advisor, Patrick Vallance, said there is now early evidence that there’s an increased risk for those who have the new variant, compared with the old virus.

“If you took ... a man in their 60s, the average risk is that for 1,000 people who got infected, roughly 10 would be expected to unfortunately die with the virus. With the new variant, for 1,000 people infected roughly 13 or 14 people might be expected to die,” Vallance said.

He described the data as not being strong yet, and highlighted more concern regarding other Covid variants found in Brazil and South Africa.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Here, Barbers/Hairdressers are one of the businesses shut down due to Covid.
A couple of us (who still have hair) have each picked up one of the WAHL DIY hair trimmer sets.
Takes a little practice, but works pretty good!.
Max.
1611523789558.png

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Since COVID-19 started from start of 2020 I've had someone in the family give me buzz cuts and then I just let it grow.
I've only had to have three cuts in the past 12 months. But all the money I've saved gets spent on CNC components from Amazon!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Checking in, for my [arbitrary timespan]-ly media-free, individual-to-individual update and threat reassessment. I haven't read the past 50 or so pages.

Since my last checkin, I've had 6 close friends or relatives get covid. In 5 out of those 6 cases, the infected person exposed several more people in the house before they realized what had them feeling sick, and nobody else in the house got sick. The 6th is a coworker who got sick and a day later his wife as well; they are in their 60's, decent health, said it was like a bad flu. All the others are younger folks, 35 and under, and they said it was hardly anything for them, preferable to the flu. Biggest gripe was loss of taste.

Then there is a 7th case, my daughters' kindergarten teacher. Both my younger ones had her. She is in the hospital now with covid, last I heard (through the grapevine) she probably won't make it. She has been having non-covid lung issues lately, had pneumonia 3 times last year. She wasn't in good shape to get covid. I tend to trust the gossip on this one. She is near & dear to our family. My wife worked with her for the past year as a teacher's assistant.

So what's your news?
Anyone you know had the virus? Did they pass it on? Did they recover?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
No relatives thankfully. Some acquaintances have somewhat recovered with lingering coughs and other issues including one of my doctors. County weekly newspaper reports the number of new cases for the week and in this area of Coastal Georgia currently, last week it was over 500 in a population of just over 10,000 with it in our county and those were the new cases, not the total number. I'm 69 with diabetes, stage 3 kidney and liver disease, and in remission from prostate cancer radiation and kidney cancer nephrectomy so we've been very careful and limited my exposure as much as I can. Mostly I stay home except for absolutely necessary doctor's visits (canceled several "regular" checkup visits) and my wife or son do the necessary shopping. We don't entertain visitors or go to any social gatherings and those repairmen that have had to come to our home were required to mask up and we limited our exposure to them as much as possible and sanitized the best we could after. Lots of obits in the newspaper here.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Checking in, for my [arbitrary timespan]-ly media-free, individual-to-individual update and threat reassessment. I haven't read the past 50 or so pages.

Since my last checkin, I've had 6 close friends or relatives get covid. In 5 out of those 6 cases, the infected person exposed several more people in the house before they realized what had them feeling sick, and nobody else in the house got sick. The 6th is a coworker who got sick and a day later his wife as well; they are in their 60's, decent health, said it was like a bad flu. All the others are younger folks, 35 and under, and they said it was hardly anything for them, preferable to the flu. Biggest gripe was loss of taste.

Then there is a 7th case, my daughters' kindergarten teacher. Both my younger ones had her. She is in the hospital now with covid, last I heard (through the grapevine) she probably won't make it. She has been having non-covid lung issues lately, had pneumonia 3 times last year. She wasn't in good shape to get covid. I tend to trust the gossip on this one. She is near & dear to our family. My wife worked with her for the past year as a teacher's assistant.

So what's your news?
Anyone you know had the virus? Did they pass it on? Did they recover?
I've already lost three close relatives due to CV19, and a three other acquaintances. Three of them were over 80 years old, and the other three were a 62 year old Doctor, a 29 year old lawyer who had just become a mother, and a 52 year old driver who left behind a widow and 8 children... very tragic stuff... The sad reality is that this thing is going nowhere until most of the population is vaccinated.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
My little town went from basically no cases to a large outbreak in long term care facility (8 staff and 18 residents). I have a lot of questions that will never be answered about that outbreak. As a hospital worker we are required to wear masks everywhere at all times so how did this happen?

In Canada these long term care outbreaks continue and nothing is being done to minimize them. No one even tries to out in place any measures other than what already exists and that clearly does not work.

Personally I still have not been affected by it.

It did make me remember when my high school had an outbreak of mumps. My class was affected eventually. We were in isolation. We had to come in 30 min earlier and leave 30 min later than everyone else. We were stuck in same classroom for 9 hrs and counted who was no show everyday. Just waiting to get sick. I was about 9th in line to get ill with it. This was in grade 8 and we were vaccinated.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Status
Not open for further replies.