Convert PWM to DC 12v output for LED brake lights

youtubeuni

Joined Dec 23, 2020
My buddy and I have been working on a project for the last 2 years, its a PCB board with 79 LEDs and built-in microcontroller taillights. We can controll every aspect of them... but we've hit a snag when it comes to power. The Volvo C30 uses PWM to send signals to the taillights. This needs to be converted to 12v to power our custom PCB. There is not a 12v nearby and we would like it to be a closed system within the taillights.

I've spent several hours online trying to research and learn about things like low pass filters but I have not found exactly what I'm looking for.

First post, appreciate the help!

youtubeuni

Joined Dec 23, 2020
there is
Why not just use the PWM to drive the LEDs? That is the way to go.
What does your micro do?
Details!!!!
there is a microcontroller built into the pcb and its input needs to be 12v. The leds are powered and controlled through the microcontroller.
Its bluetooth and can run specific animations

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Sounds a bit odd to me. Replacing the tail lights with animation capable ones may well be against regulation, at least it would be in some parts of the world. You ,ay need to check that. It may render your car "un-roadworthy" and insurance companies just love to find that and use it as a way to not pay out.
Have you looked for a spare wire in the loom that is usually run to the back in case a tow bar is installed? There may already be power there nearby.
But, one way will be to power your lights could be to use the existing brake light wire by disconnecting it from the control box and connecting it to 12V. And then you would have to trigger your lights by bluetooth I supose.
Either that or run another wire. That is not real hard to do.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you want to use the PWM signal to directly power your circuit, then that would require rectifying the PWM to generate (a lower voltage) DC and then run that through a DC-DC boost converter to get 12V.