I need to control a CRT coil (vertical and horizontal, but I will use two circuits, one for each coil). The coil draws about 450mA at full deflection at 5 volts D.C. I will use three 27R/3W resistors to get a 9R resistor (in parallel) to get the required deflection.
My problem is, that the output needs to vary from 5 volts to -5 volts, the negative voltage for deflecting to the left, the positive for the right. How would I go about using some kind of transistor or powerful amplifier circuit to control this with a 0 volt to 5 volt signal, or even a -5 volt to 5 volt signal?
The load is inductive, so protective/fly back diodes will be required. This is where I come unstuck, because at -5 volts doesn't that mean the diodes will conduct...?
Any help appreciated, as I'm trying to build my own oscilloscope with this.
My problem is, that the output needs to vary from 5 volts to -5 volts, the negative voltage for deflecting to the left, the positive for the right. How would I go about using some kind of transistor or powerful amplifier circuit to control this with a 0 volt to 5 volt signal, or even a -5 volt to 5 volt signal?
The load is inductive, so protective/fly back diodes will be required. This is where I come unstuck, because at -5 volts doesn't that mean the diodes will conduct...?
Any help appreciated, as I'm trying to build my own oscilloscope with this.
Last edited: