Voltage Spike from a Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Starter

ddlawrence

Joined Sep 28, 2026
4
Hi. I am poking around with the Joule Thief concept. I want to 'capture' a voltage spike from a coil. Rather than pull it to ground, I want to clip the top at a voltage of 100V and use it to charge a capacitor. The lower part of the spike I want to let pass through. Is such a thing possible? I am not sure, being a mech guy. Thanks...........dd
 

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
16,481
Hi. I am poking around with the Joule Thief concept. I want to 'capture' a voltage spike from a coil. Rather than pull it to ground, I want to clip the top at a voltage of 100V and use it to charge a capacitor. The lower part of the spike I want to let pass through. Is such a thing possible? I am not sure, being a mech guy. Thanks...........dd
What problem or function do you think that will solve?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipper_(electronics)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clamper_(electronics)
 

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
10,300
yes, that is it, Negatively biased diode clipper. thanks, you electrical guys are boss.
one problem, it needs a battery.

to answer your question, i want the circuit to power itself.
It is not possible for a circuit to power itself. In fact, unity gain is a prohibited topic here—not because it is dangerous but because it is a waste of time and tends to cause arguments.

[MODERATION]
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top