continuity tester

Dinesh_rd7

Joined Jan 26, 2020
Hi all

I need to develop a continuity tester, i need to check a connector simply continuity between two ends of the connector using an arduino, using an transistor too but unable to find a circuit for it. How to connect transistor with arduino to make a project

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
What kind of connector are you testing? Is this a large, multi conductor cable, like ribbon cable? Or do you just need to check one conductor at a time?

There are probably numerous examples online either way, but you might get more help here if you provide more details.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hi all

I need to develop a continuity tester, i need to check a connector simply continuity between two ends of the connector using an arduino, using an transistor too but unable to find a circuit for it. How to connect transistor with arduino to make a project
Well based on that which isn't much take the 5.0 V out of your Arduino board and you don't even mention which Arduino board you have? Apply 5.0 volts to one end of the two. Apply the other end to the A0 input. Measure A0 bit count. There done and do whatever with the transistor.

Seriously using a uC for a continuity test is severe overkill unless you have some specifications you need to meet? Describe exactly in detail what you want to do and in detail the results you expect?

Ron

Dinesh_rd7

Joined Jan 26, 2020
What kind of connector are you testing? Is this a large, multi conductor cable, like ribbon cable? Or do you just need to check one conductor at a time?

There are probably numerous examples online either way, but you might get more help here if you provide more details.
IT IS LARGE, IT HAS 10 WIRES.
I NEED TO USE AN ARDUINO, SO THAT IF I START TO CHECK THE CONTINUITY IT NEEDS TO CHECK THE WIRES FROM 1 TO 10 ONE BY ONE. AND IT NEEDS TO DISPLAY USING LED GREEN FOR OKAY AND RED FOR FAIL

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
IT IS LARGE, IT HAS 10 WIRES.
I NEED TO USE AN ARDUINO, SO THAT IF I START TO CHECK THE CONTINUITY IT NEEDS TO CHECK THE WIRES FROM 1 TO 10 ONE BY ONE. AND IT NEEDS TO DISPLAY USING LED GREEN FOR OKAY AND RED FOR FAIL
No need to shout. If you had made your requirements clear in the first post, you wouldn't have gotten the comments about overkill.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You still need to define "continuity" for example as < 1 Ohm is pass > 1 Ohm is fail. You would normally make a test fixture using mating connectors for the cable. Then you can manually move from pin to pin or automate the test process. You also need to define if you want to make sure there are no line to line shorts. Continuity does not define anything.

Ron

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Plus you will need to build a jumper plug/connector for the far end unless you want to try time-domain reflectometry. A bit more input on just what you are trying to do would help. Simple continuity? or? What cable/ribbon/wires in conduit/twisted pairs/connector, and specs for same.

Dinesh_rd7

Joined Jan 26, 2020
Simple continuity tester for an connector need to check whether the wires are correctly solder for the respective pins on both the ends of an connector, if both the ends of the connectors correctly soldered means the test should pass or else fail

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Easiest way would be to build a shorting cap/plug for one end. This would short ALL of the connections. Then on the opposite end if there is a discontinuity between any 2 points there is a failure. By testing good any 2 points you know both wires are good and can use one of those wires to reference all of the other points against. You would also have to build a harness with a connector for the testing end and connect that to the I/O of the Arduino. Then program to scan the I/O against a known good point. Lot's of ways to do this and also provide visual/audio cues. Or even printouts.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You can use SamR's suggestion which will work fine. Really depends on any specification you want or need to meet. Make a shorting cap and either run 5 volts down one line and scan the remaining 9 or just apply 5 volts at the shorting cap end and scan the remaining ten lines for 5 volts running each into a digital input. That will tell you if there is continuity. I would not use pins 0 or 1 for digital in. I would create an array of pins 2 through 11. Then I would scan the array using pins 12 & 13 as LED pins, one for pass and one for fail. Entirely up to you and what you want. You could also use a MUX / DEMUX using a few multiplexer chips like the CD74HC4067 and flag any open lines where the program stops and flags the open line. In the simplest form there isn't much to it.

Ron

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Doing that with 1 power input and 1 LED/resistor per wire on a PCB with a connection harness would be a very simple test rig not even needing an Arduino. Simple On for connectivity or Off for open. If all Off then your hot reference source is open. Easy peasy. Shorts, crosstalk, etc. are a whole 'nother can of worms.