Common-Emitter Amplifier Design.

unique_username_

Joined Mar 4, 2023
I have an analog circuits project. For the given circuit , RL is 20k ohms. Vout should be Vpp = 22-24 V (peak-to-peak) and gain should be greater than 10. Capacitor corner frequencies should be less than 10 Hz and power consumption for each resistor should be less than 0.2 W. I can not adjust the required peak to peak voltage. What should I do?

Attachments

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
At first - you should convince yourself if you really understand how such a transistor amplifier works.
Then - as a second step - you should remember and collect all relevant formulas and expressions (voltage gain, bias parameters, 1st-order highpass properties, negative feedback alternatives,...)

unique_username_

Joined Mar 4, 2023
At first - you should convince yourself if you really understand how such a transistor amplifier works.
Then - as a second step - you should remember and collect all relevant formulas and expressions (voltage gain, bias parameters, 1st-order highpass properties, negative feedback alternatives,...)
I started with assuming Icq = 1.6 mA. After some calculations I plotted the AC load line and picked my Rc and Re values but when I simulate it using ltspice Vout is always clipped.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi uu,
Is it possible that you could post a diagram of the circuit showing all the component values you have calculated.?

E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi uu,
Thanks for the diagram, I see you are using LTSpice, if you post your asc file I will give it a run in LTSpice.
E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi uu,
I have redrawn it in lTS.

Look at the power line Polarity for starters, there are other problems

Update: Ignore that polarity, query I can just see the Minus sign, !:(
EG57_ 661.png

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
CE changes the gain-frequency response. Remove CE for now and check the frequency response.
Base voltage bias will affect clipping. Remove the sine wave input and adjust DC base bias resistors R1 and R2 until you get collector voltage equal to ½Vs.

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
I think. the last line is - more or less - a "trial and error" method without a deeper understanding of whats going on.
Don`t you think a more systematic design with some calculations would be a better help?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I think. the last line is - more or less - a "trial and error" method without a deeper understanding of whats going on.
Don`t you think a more systematic design with some calculations would be a better help?
Ah! If that is what TS wants, sure.
Calculate voltage at emitter.
Determine base voltage to give the desired VBE.
Calculate R1-R2 values to give the desired base voltage.

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
Ah! If that is what TS wants, sure.
Calculate voltage at emitter.
Determine base voltage to give the desired VBE.
Calculate R1-R2 values to give the desired base voltage.
Yes - and regarding the "desired base voltage": It is not too important if we assume (and this is ALWAYS an estimate) a base-emitter voltage of 0.65 or 0.7 volts. This is due to the DC feedback effect (caused by the emitter resistors) which makes the whole circuit pretty insensitive to BJT parameters.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
but still swing is not symmetrical.
Instead of blindly asking what is wrong, think about how the circuit works.
Circuit design is not just plugging in formulas, you also need an understanding of the circuit operation.

Since the impedance from the transistor collector to the plus supply is is higher than the impedance from the emitter to the minus supply, the output clipping point at the collector cannot be symmetrical as the transistor goes from full on (saturated) to full off.
It is those two impedances that supply the current to the output load on alternate half cycles.
You would need to make those two impedances equal for symmetrical clipping.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I have an analog circuits project. For the given circuit , RL is 20k ohms. Vout should be Vpp = 22-24 V (peak-to-peak) and gain should be greater than 10. Capacitor corner frequencies should be less than 10 Hz and power consumption for each resistor should be less than 0.2 W. I can not adjust the required peak to peak voltage. What should I do?
Hi,

What you should do is learn to analyze circuits in general. That would not be that hard for this problem because you are given the Beta and the base emitter diode drop. That implies that you can use the current generator and diode transistor model to calculate your resistor values.
Once you learn to analyze this circuit, you can then calculate the values for the resistors, and also check your design using math rather than a simulator. This gives you a lot of insight into these circuits.

The transistor model that can be used seems to be the current controlled current source (CCCS) and a diode for the base emitter diode. This is a rather simple model but gives you a lot of insight as to how the circuit works without getting over complicated. If i can get the time (and energy ha ha) i'll post an example using different parameters. The degree of 'accuracy' you can get like this is astonishing, although it will be in theory only.

Once you learn this though you will never have to ask another question like this because you will be armed enough to do it yourself.