Circuitry for striking clock.

RMHC

Joined Nov 13, 2019
Hi,
Mr C,
Could you help me sort out the cct? When I ground R5 nothing happens....How should I go about finding what is going wrong in the cct. Any help would be appreciated. TIA...RMHC.
Hi Mr C,
I would really appreciate any help you can give me getting the striking circuit to work. I have double checked the breadboard connections but still am getting no count o/p. Looking forward to hearing from you. RMHC.

RMHC

Joined Nov 13, 2019
I was going to write the code for you but hey this makes it easier on me too now.

So you probably want to check out post #60 where member "cruts" was nice enough to provide what looks like a working design. You can probably tweek the timing to suit your needs.
Mr Al,
I am still looking for help with my clock striking project. Unfortunately the circuit I received is not working and I want to proceed in the direction you put forward. The count is triggered by a pulse from a pair of contacts on the clock at every hour. The counter has to count up to 12 and the reset to 1-in other words it should not strike 13. I would appreciate any help you can give me regarding what I need to purchase and how to get it working. Many thanks RMHC.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Hi,

Hi Mr C,
I would really appreciate any help you can give me getting the striking circuit to work. I have double checked the breadboard connections but still am getting no count o/p. Looking forward to hearing from you. RMHC.
Measure the voltages on all the counter pins and post them here.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Mr Al,
I am still looking for help with my clock striking project. Unfortunately the circuit I received is not working and I want to proceed in the direction you put forward. The count is triggered by a pulse from a pair of contacts on the clock at every hour. The counter has to count up to 12 and the reset to 1-in other words it should not strike 13. I would appreciate any help you can give me regarding what I need to purchase and how to get it working. Many thanks RMHC.
So have you given up on the microcomputer idea? It would be much much smaller than a discrete solution. An 8 pin DIP IC, a handful of resistors , a couple of push buttons and one logic level MOSFET. I’ve written the code for you already.

I’m sitting at a bar, and thought of a different way to set the number of chime. I’ll provide a change if you want to try a micro.

@crutschow Just wondering? When the circuit is turned on, how does it know the current time? Doesn’t it need to know where to start chiming?

RMHC

Joined Nov 13, 2019
Sorry Mr C but this came out as rubbish. Will try again.
U1 Pin1. 0
2. 6.1
3. 0
4. 6.1
5. 0
6 . 6.1 - 0
7. 6.1
8. GRD
9. 6.1
10. 6.1
11. 0 - 6.1
12. 0
13. 0
14. 0 - 6.1
15. 0
16 . 6.1

U2 Pin 1. 0 - 6.1
2. 0
3. 0
4. 6.1 - 0
5. 0
6. 0 - 6.1
7. 0 - 6.1
8. 0
9. 6.1
10. 0
12. 0 - 6.1
13. 0
14. 0
15. 6.1
16. 6.1
Maybe that is readable. I sure hope so.

RMHC

Joined Nov 13, 2019
So have you given up on the microcomputer idea? It would be much much smaller than a discrete solution. An 8 pin DIP IC, a handful of resistors , a couple of push buttons and one logic level MOSFET. I’ve written the code for you already.

I’m sitting at a bar, and thought of a different way to set the number of chime. I’ll provide a change if you want to try a micro.

@crutschow Just wondering? When the circuit is turned on, how does it know the current time? Doesn’t it need to know where to start chiming?
Hi 'disfantasi'
I am interested in your idea for a microcomputer chimer, please give me more details regarding the IC chip needed for this and how it is programmed. You say you have written the code but how would I load it on the chip? I am having trouble getting the discrete circuit running also space is a concern on the clock. Please give me a part # for the IC, I have a L L N channel Mosfet already and scads of resistors etc. Looking forward to your next email. RMHC.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi 'disfantasi'
I am interested in your idea for a microcomputer chimer, please give me more details regarding the IC chip needed for this and how it is programmed. You say you have written the code but how would I load it on the chip? I am having trouble getting the discrete circuit running also space is a concern on the clock. Please give me a part # for the IC, I have a L L N channel Mosfet already and scads of resistors etc. Looking forward to your next email. RMHC.
So, the chip you would need is an ATTiny85. If I remember, it’s about $3.00.

To load the code, you’ll need a development environment and a programmer.

I recommend the Arduino IDE. It is free! Copy the code and paste it into the IDE code window.

I recommend that you purchase a plug and play programmer. The programmer will plug into your computer/ laptop. The Arduino IDE will recognize it. All it takes to load the code is two or three clicks. I use the programmer from Sparkfun.

If you understand this much, I’ll provide more detail. While you wait for me, download and install the Arduino IDE. Check out some sample codes!

Im about to get on a ride at Disney. TTYL?

NigelL12

Joined May 8, 2020
Hi Crutschow,
You were very quick with that cct. Many thanks.
I am looking for a 1.5v micro reg. to connect the clock motor to the 6v. to complete the cct. Do you think any other tweaks are needed after that? RMHC..
This reply will undoubtedly be too late in this situation but for a quartz clock that has a minimal current requirement and very brief pulses of about 6ma I have found the simplest way is to charge a small capacitor via a resistor and connect two 1N4148 diodes across the capacitor. It then charges to 1.4V and in my experience works well. I used this on a chicken house automation where I resurrected some dead Sangamo quartz time switches and converted them to 12V. To my mind the simpler a circuit the better and in a case like this the above would suffice. Alternatively drop 4.5 volts across a zener diode. The power wastage is minimal when talking about one quartz clock!