Cheap foul line detector needed.

candlepinman

Joined Mar 2, 2018
Maybe this will work. With similar parts detection was reliable at 10 ft. Tx IR LED is no part number, CAT #
ILED-13 from All Electronics, 940 nm, 60 ma continuous, 1A pk., 5 mm., 16 deg. From Digi-Key a match to
OPL550-OCA is SFH4545, 10 deg. or TSAL6100 but are not 5 mm packages.The mounting is as shown in post by ducey01. I found a shorter focal length plastic tens at Ace Hardware 3 cm dia., 5 mm fl. but not tried yet. At 5 v, buzzer might not be loud enough but rower availability has not ben established.
A red multi faceted reflector was tried with boor results, but a piece of shiny beer can worked as a first surface mirror for testing.View attachment 149761
I can try using a piece of mirror similier thing to it since the original reflectors have been removed.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
A first surface mirror is best as I hear that ordinary glass absorbs IR.
For tracing an IR beam , I use a simple jig consisting of a IR transistor & NPN transistor.
I traced the Tx beam out to 30 ft. 'Added a daylight filter from old TV remote.Foul Detecter 2 00001.jpg

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I can try using a piece of mirror similier thing to it since the original reflectors have been removed.
You can try a mirror but it may be hard to align. Alignment is made more difficult because the IR beam is not visible.

A retro-reflector has the advantage that the angle to the beam is not critical. All you have to do is get the beam onto the retro-reflector.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A first surface mirror is best as I hear that ordinary glass absorbs IR.
Ordinary glass transmits near IR fine up to about 2.5 micron wavelength (which is how the sun heats you through your windows.
It does block far IR transmission, such as the 10 micron radiation from room temperature objects, thus it keeps the heat in your house that came in as near IR from the sun.
It's the reason your car gets so hot inside from the sun.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Using IR monitor with Tx, dropped glass & plastic in beam path with no change noted. Side by side with plain glass mirror detection out to 5 X 2 ft., length of table. With red seg. reflector out to 3 X 2 ft. with one direction adjustment.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I was disappointed in results of " Optical Cast IR Longpass Filter " for 940 nm IR receiver , then decider to reopen laser- Cd-S case. In a bright room, double glass doors facing South, 6 bulb fixture on high Cd- S cell
with filter, resistance up to i50k. ' Think I'll take it to bowling on Monday & re test. Certainly easier to align sensors with a visible beam.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
If the project is still alive, I have a few pieces of the " Optical Cast IR Longpass Filter " in 3/4 in. squares for US $ 1.00 ea., my cost.

IR Rass Filter 00000_Bernard.jpg

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Help ! how can I shrink attachment.

Mods Note:
The image had been resized and moved the position.

Last edited by a moderator: