Cheap foul line detector needed.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I've changed my mind & believe the laser would be suitable. Alignment is both hard & easy
Easy because the beam can be seen , but it is very narrow. With a small conical reflector
on receiver, alignment might be easier . I'll try it out Monday along with decoder consisting of
laser, photo transistor & 555 or Cd-S cell, 555 IC 4 resistors & 2 caps.

Made a quick check with laser, Cd-S cell, 1 uF C shunted with 100K R & V meter. looks good.

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Tried out laser, Electronic Goldmine, G19031, with Cd-S ( LDR ) cell, sim. to EG G19038, with several layers of red film as a filter, with a mirror to give a range of 4' X2 or 8'. If LDR can be kept over 100 k from ambient light, then it should work. With laser shining on LDR, 555-2 should be above 2.5 V. When blocked C1 will discharge
thru R2, if short will not fall below 1.7 V , or with a foot will fall below 1.7 V triggering 555. R2 @ 47k was about right for bowling ball to pass but tripped on simulated foot. Output either LED or active buzzer or both. Foul Detecter 00000.jpg

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
More complicated but maybe more reliable would be modulated IR. Why reinstall the foul line detector ?
Only thing left of foul det. in my bowling lanes is the reflectors.

candlepinman

Joined Mar 2, 2018
More complicated but maybe more reliable would be modulated IR. Why reinstall the foul line detector ?
Only thing left of foul det. in my bowling lanes is the reflectors.
Because my boss "my female cousin" wants to try if I can get them to work; she might be thinking of bringing the foul line back, why, I do not know that because most bowling centers in Nova Scotia do not use them any more. And that fact that if they where back a lot of the older bowlers would be a hassle because a lot of them do step over the foul lines; that's because I have observed a lot of bowlers don't care anymore.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Can you get + 5V power to the circuits ? Do you have a source for parts ?
Do you want to try for a modulated IR system ? I noted that my lanes were well illuminated with a complete line of fluorescent lights near the start line.. How wide are the lanes ?
I'm tied up until late next week

Last edited:

candlepinman

Joined Mar 2, 2018
Can you get + 5V power to the circuits ? Do you have a source for parts ?
Do you want to try for a modulated IR system ? I noted that my lanes were well illuminated with a complete line of fluorescent lights near the start line.. How wide are the lanes ?
I'm tied up until late next week
Yes I do have a wealth of parts from Allied electronics, Mouser, and Digi-key.
Our lanes also have fluorescent lamps and cosmic laser lights.
I believe the lanes are a little over 3 feet.

candlepinman

Joined Mar 2, 2018
Bernard said: I'm tied up until late next week.
Bernard, are you into BDSM?
That is something that I do not get to do, and not to sure what it really means; although I consider my self 100 percent openly gay, the town that I live in is not; and a lot of guys here are still in the closet..

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
For some interesting reading 'till next week, try at top of page in line with Reply to Thread is Search Fopums, put in box Posted by Member: deuce01.
A beam break project from long long ago.
Really must close now.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I tried to recreate the beam break from post " Help with simple beam switch " by deuce01, but not a peep from Rx. Simple seems to have fallen to the wayside. Might next try a module like OPL561-OC with single modulation.- If you are still interested.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Maybe this will work. With similar parts detection was reliable at 10 ft. Tx IR LED is no part number, CAT #
ILED-13 from All Electronics, 940 nm, 60 ma continuous, 1A pk., 5 mm., 16 deg. From Digi-Key a match to
OPL550-OCA is SFH4545, 10 deg. or TSAL6100 but are not 5 mm packages.The mounting is as shown in post by ducey01. I found a shorter focal length plastic tens at Ace Hardware 3 cm dia., 5 mm fl. but not tried yet. At 5 v, buzzer might not be loud enough but power availability has not ben established.
A red multi faceted reflector was tried with boor results, but a piece of shiny beer can worked as a first surface mirror for testing.Foul Detecter 2 00000.jpg

Last edited:

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
A red multi faceted reflector was tried with boor results, but a piece of shiny beer can worked as a first surface mirror for testing.View attachment 149761
That is odd. I thought I had used bicycle reflectors in the past. All I can think is that the plastic in the reflector does not pass IR very well. If that is the case then white retro-reflecting tape would be my choice.

I keep meaning to ask if a reflector is still in place, leftover from the original foul line detector.

p.s. My first surface mirrors of choice are hard drive platters. :D

candlepinman

Joined Mar 2, 2018
Maybe this will work. With similar parts detection was reliable at 10 ft. Tx IR LED is no part number, CAT #
ILED-13 from All Electronics, 940 nm, 60 ma continuous, 1A pk., 5 mm., 16 deg. From Digi-Key a match to
OPL550-OCA is SFH4545, 10 deg. or TSAL6100 but are not 5 mm packages.The mounting is as shown in post by ducey01. I found a shorter focal length plastic tens at Ace Hardware 3 cm dia., 5 mm fl. but not tried yet. At 5 v, buzzer might not be loud enough but rower availability has not ben established.
A red multi faceted reflector was tried with boor results, but a piece of shiny beer can worked as a first surface mirror for testing.View attachment 149761
I was able to remove the old blue painted covers; that used to house the old foul line and the signal and power line were removed; but I can run some new ones down under the ball return since there is lots of spacing under the gutter side.

candlepinman

Joined Mar 2, 2018
That is odd. I thought I had used bicycle reflectors in the past. All I can think is that the plastic in the reflector does not pass IR very well. If that is the case then white retro-reflecting tape would be my choice.

I keep meaning to ask if a reflector is still in place, leftover from the original foul line detector.

p.s. My first surface mirrors of choice are hard drive platters. :D
NO the all of the old stuff has been removed on both sides...