CD4060 and CD4027 Help

Discussion in 'Digital Circuit Design' started by Guest3123, May 18, 2018.

1. Guest3123

Thread Starter Member

Oct 28, 2014
    What kind of flip flops are inside the 4060?

I've built the 1Hz signal from the circuit I found online.. here (Crystal Controlled 1Hz Time Base ( Clock ))
    Just got the components and stuff delivered yesterday from Mouser Electronics.

I've learned a little about the SR flip-flop, and T Flip-Flop from videos on YouTube.

Almost anyone can order the parts on Mouser Electronics, and hook up wires and components and build this thing, but to understand what's going on is a completely different story altogether.

I'll post pictures and upload my video for the circuit with the blue 1Hz blinking LED along with my UT61D multimeter showing 0.999 Hz from the CD4027BE dual master-slave JK Flip-flop output.

I honestly don't know if it's 0.999 Hz or 1Hz, because of the accuracy of the DMM.

But I'm going to feed the 1Hz signal into a μC. I'm going to start simple and use the Arduino Uno, but I've also ordered the parts for a USBasp and some jumper wires. :), because I want to learn about ATmel AVR programming too.

So anyone want to walk me through and understanding the CD4060?

I'm a little lazy, but I found this video on YouTube talking about Binary Ripple Counter

I guess one of my biggest problems, is that the data sheet for the CD4060BE seems a little old, so I'm having a little trouble understand what pins are what and what they do.

My short video of the circuit 32.768KHz to 1Hz, Blue LED Blinking and DMM showing 0.999Hz on the output.

rTS8F7P_Guest3123.jpg
    High Quality image of the circuit.

tXx9JF3_Guest3123.gif
    The Circuit on breadboard drawing.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
  3. danadak

Mar 10, 2018
  4. Guest3123

Thread Starter Member

Oct 28, 2014
    So what does.. 01317.jpg that mean? Those two pins (10, 11) on the CD4060 IC. Are they J & K?

I measured the voltage from them, and they're positive. So that means voltage is coming out of them going through the components to ground.
    I also see that (even though it's obvious, because there's a 32.768KHz crystal connected to them) 32.76KHz is coming from those pins..

It just seems this part is short circuited, because it looks like things are all connected together in a loop.
    01312.jpg

I'd like to request some help with this part, pins 10 & 11, I don't understand what is going on here.

Here's an image of my circuit I built, based on the components I received yesterday (Thursday, May 17th, 2018) from Mouser Electronics. :)
    P1100318.JPG P1100312.JPG 01314.jpg

My Breadboard Drawing[​IMG]

5. danadak

Mar 10, 2018
    If you enjoy playing with logic there are alternative ways of
    doing it. By using a tool to drag and drop logic elements onto
    a schematic, wiring them up, then wiring them to pins where
    you can attach buttons or leds or interface parts. No code
    required, although it also has a lot of other stuff like CPU,
    analog like OpAmps, Comparators, DAC.....

You can even use the chip to generate stimulus to test your design.

Tool is cheap, $ 0, and beginners board $ 4.

Some of the capabilities. Note the rectangular blocks would require at
    least 1 line of code to start the block.

Regards, Dana.

6. danadak

Mar 10, 2018
    Those two pins are simply the clock input buffered and then output, one in phase,
    the other inverted. They can also be used with a crystal to generate the clock.
    The inverters along with appropriate caps, fig 13 in datasheet, form an oscillator
    to clock the counter with.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd4060b.pdf Datasheet

[​IMG]

The value of caps should be in crystal manufacturers datasheet.

Regards, Dana.

7. danadak

Mar 10, 2018
    As you can see in diagram the two caps each go to ground, and one
    of them to one side of crystal, the other to the other side of crystal. In
    your breadboard you have them both going to one side of crystal.

Regards, Dana.

8. Guest3123

Thread Starter Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Cool, thanks. Fixed the capacitor for the crystal.

Also just uploaded a short video talking a little about the circuit I built. 32.768KHz to 1Hz using CD4060, CD4027 IC's and of course the 32.768KHz crystal. No 555 IC's for me today. :)

High Quality image of the circuit found here.

9. AnalogKid

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 1, 2013
    Internally, the 4060 has two sections, oscillator and counter. The oscillator is two inverting gates in series. Note that these are not necessarily standard CMOS gates like 1/4 of a 4011 or 1/6 of a 4069, but an inverting stage of some nature. These implement a very common oscillator circuit:
    https://www.fairchildsemi.com/application-notes/AN/AN-118.pdf - Figure 5.
    The two phase symbols mean that those two points in the circuit are 180 degrees out of phase, a necessary part of its operation.

Separate from that is the counter section. These are not simple set-reset flipflops, because there is no SR configuration that toggles. T, D, J-K, whatever - these all are variations on the theme of a clocked, master-slave flipflop. The symbol on most datasheets is not a standard one for any standard ff, but it gets across the most important point: this is a ripple counter, not a synchronous counter. Moving down the chain, each output changes state slightly after the previous stage. This can be a very handy feature in some output decoding schemes.

ak

Guest3123 likes this.