0 to 999 frequency counter using cd4060, cd4029, cd4543. Timing diagram help

MilesLee720

Joined Nov 21, 2023
So I'm making a 0 to 999 frequency counter and I'm struggling to come up with the logic for it by using the timing diagram. All I do know is that I would be using a JK Flip Flop and using Kmaps to come up with the logic. I posted the block diagram, which has the timing diagram in the top right. Everything else is built, but it doesn't function properly because I don't have the logic for the timing diagramIMG_2437.PNG

MilesLee720

Joined Nov 21, 2023
Welcome to AAC!
Can you post one without the colors, gradient, and shadows? A simple black outline with function inside would be sufficient. Make the text large enough to read.
Sorry, but that is the only block diagram we were given for this assignment

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Sorry, but that is the only block diagram we were given for this assignment
It's really not acceptable for an instructor to give you something that's unreadable. The color choices are awful.

We can infer that the 4 bit buses out of the "??? Counter" block are BCD and the 7 bit buses out of "4543 stages" are segments, but what is TB and what is the AND gate driving? What is preload supposed to do?

Could you post the complete text for the problem?

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Ok I just put the word document file as an attachment, it might be easier to read it that way
1700672836650.png
Your instructor is hypocritical to grade your breadboard for neatness when this block diagram leaves a bit to be desired in terms of neatness and readability.

For homework, you need to show your best effort and describe where you need help.

MilesLee720

Joined Nov 21, 2023
View attachment 308168
Your instructor is arrogant to grade your breadboard for neatness when this block diagram leaves a bit to be desired in terms of neatness and readability.

For homework, you need to show your best effort and describe where you need help.
The part I need help with is the timing diagram portion. Using that diagram I need to find the logic. I know I need to use a JK Flip Flop to figure out what controls are required to hold the value of the display and then reload that value every 1 second. But I'm confused as to how to get a logic expression from the timing diagram

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I know I need to use a JK Flip Flop to figure out what controls are required to hold the value of the display and then reload that value every 1 second.
I don't see any mention of a flip flop in the instructions.

Apparently you designed a the 0.5Hz time base in another exercise. What does it look like?

A better block diagram without those hideous colors and shadows.
1700673783485.png

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ignore for the moment, block diagrams and timing diagrams.

Ask yourself:

1. What is the function of a 0-999 frequency counter?
2. What is the input and what is the output?
3. What are the steps required to go from the input to the output?

Answer these questions and write out your answers in plain language.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I already have that part good and yes I did use a Flip Flop in that section
Show what you have and describe what isn't working or where you have difficulties/questions.

The instructions mention something about never resetting a 4060 counter. Did you use that in your 0.5Hz time base?