Can anyone identify purpose of this device?

Standisher

Joined Jan 16, 2015
I recently purchased an unidentified item from eBay, primarily for the useful enclosure. It also came housed in a good technicians briefcase so I think I got a great deal. There are a lot of high quality parts in the unit (I've only peaked in the aluminium box inside the unit but all I can see are 2 pieces of white, paper like, sheets). I'm so curious about what this instrument was designed to analyse but much searching on the internet has failed to provide any answers or leads. Just wondering, with the vast amount of industrial and technical experience on here whether anyone can identify the purpose of the unit from the photos I'm posting (the back of the unit only has a fuse and a 3 pin din charging point for the Nickel Cadmium batteries)? It was manufactured in 1990.

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
At first glance, the "Diviner" name suggests locating water. The two probe inputs and centering meter suggest something like "electronic dousing". It's battery powered, so meant to be moved around.

It might be an elaborate scam, or a serious instrument, but it almost certainly has to do with finding water in some way.

Standisher

Joined Jan 16, 2015
Yes, dowsing was the first thing that came to my mind too with the name 'Diviner' but it really seems too elaborate for that. I have no doubt whatsoever that it is a serious piece of equipment and wonder if it could be a 'dampness' meter of some sort (for locating damp in walls or floors). Oh, and it does have a serial number on the back which suggest that the machine was made in some quantity.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
CSD can be
Canadian Society of Dowsers, *
Critical Study of Divination,
or somewhere nearby. Has an audio out chip for some acoustical/buzzing output; has probe jacks for some input. *That has a web site that would supply extra information on the contraption endorsed by them ?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have no doubt whatsoever that it is a serious piece of equipment and wonder if it could be a 'dampness' meter of some sort (for locating damp in walls or floors).
Just to sets some expectations, this device will run you $6440.00 on Amazon. And, if you can manage to slog through the video, you will see it is a dousing rod—the handheld device passively swivels on the handle.

1657560423666.png

Standisher

Joined Jan 16, 2015
Just to sets some expectations, this device will run you $6440.00 on Amazon. And, if you can manage to slog through the video, you will see it is a dousing rod—the handheld device passively swivels on the handle.

OK, so the unit I have is not that sophisticated (and I have only 2 probe inputs & no probes...oh, and it's used) so maybe worth $400? ;) Seriously, I'm still not sure that's what this one does but I've no better ideas.

Standisher

Joined Jan 16, 2015
Curious about the inside of the 'front end' box on first image. If you ever photograph its guts, please publish.
Will do, but I'll have to dismantle the unit fully first to be able to properly deconstruct the aluminium box. Just waiting to see if anyone can come up with the definitive answer. As the instrument has serial number DV920304, I'm imagining it was produced in some quantity and am hoping someone on here will have seen or used one like this. I have a far too curious mind.o_O

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Does it turn on? You might try just putting some BNC cables with 6" or so of wire attached to the other end and play around.

Before you do, though, check for dangerous voltages at those jacks, especially when "active" is selected. But I suspect low level RF output.

Standisher

Joined Jan 16, 2015
Does it turn on? You might try just putting some BNC cables with 6" or so of wire attached to the other end and play around.

Before you do, though, check for dangerous voltages at those jacks, especially when "active" is selected. But I suspect low level RF output.
The unit turns on fine (now that I've charged up the 10 NiCad batteries). It's only a 12V unit and both 'probe points' are inputs to the aluminium box (so absolutely no danger of high voltage) . When turned on, a varying high pitch frequency is emitted through the included, tiny 8R speaker (and presumably the audio out jack - untested). Turning the sensitivity controls the pitch/frequency of the sound. The PCB has a 555 timer, cd4093 nand gate and an LM386 to amplify the audio output. I'm guessing that the pcb merely responds to the signal sent via the output of the aluminium box internal magic. :cool:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I would say it is consistent with a metal detector. The two BNC jacks would go to the two coils in a pancake like head, and the phones would give you a changing as you approach metal. And the name fits.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It does seem to be a metal detector. The name loosely fits. The question is why make it so elaborate. Is it especially sensitive? It has both passive and active modes which is interesting.