Burning BTS 240A

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012
Have this setup at my Brothers farm
it's for a feeding machine, running on some beams in the ceeling.
Works normaly ok, but here lately it keeps killing this BTS240A
marked on pdf.
can takes 2-3 weeks before it burns,
any hints on what i can do to prevent it ?
the supply is 2*12v battery, 24-28v total.
The engine do takes up around 5-7 A while driving,

Attachments

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
marked on pdf.
There is another problem here cause it to die cause it rated or 58amps and your not even coming close ..

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012
BTS240A is mountet to a PCB and have a very big collingplate behind,
Now we have moved it , and mounted wires from PCB to BTS240A cause it is not easy to get it fit propper to the cooling
we will try Again and see how long it runs,

As i can see it, it starts the motor at JP1 softly.
when then BTS240 is burned it starts very hard, and will not stop Again,

And yes, the motor gets cleaned regarly.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I don’t know what your total setup is, but, I would look for an environmental change or a mechanical wear fault.

By environmental....I would look for a stretched conveyor belt with morning cool temps, or condensation in product in blower causing increased current on start up. Some kind of temp or moisture change....it’s intermittent because it goes for two weeks.

Mechanical could be a bearing or gearbox drawing current until it seats in its wear lines.

You might want to isolate sections of the system for a few weeks.........to find area of fault.

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012
Now it has been running for a while. But now it burns 2 times on one day
The machine today start ok and run for 1 minut and stops as planed for filling up. That is controlled by timer on the PLC but when it was stop for atound half the time the machine just starts up with a burned BTS240A without change the direction as it should ( think its not the PLC that start it )

Now we will change it again. Change the fuse from 30A to 15A and change 2 relays to try to do something

Help would be great.
Compagny that sold it is not anymore

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
marked on pdf.
What are you replacing the MOSFET with?

If the logic family of those gates can and does run on more than 5V, you should look elsewhere for the cause.

If the gates are on 5V, you definitely need a logic level MOSFET - if the gates run from at least 12V, any regular MOSFET with adequate ratings should work.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
And it is controlled with a 74c14 so i think 5v will be the voltage to controll
I lost track of what voltage which CMOS familiar use - the best thing to do is measure it.

If its less than 10V - you need a logic level MOSFET, anything else will not turn fully on and dissipate energy that should be going to the load.

The SMD version of TO220 MOSFETs on old PC motherboards have VGSthr in the right ball-park and typical Id ratings are about 70 - 80A - but the Vds rating is usually only 30V.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
And it is controlled with a 74c14 so i think 5v will be the voltage to controll
That could be the problem.
The BTS240A requires a Vgs of 10V to be fully on.
I suggest you find a logic-level type N-MOSFET (fully turns on at Vgs of 5V as shown for Rds(on) in the data sheet) with voltage, current, and Rds(on) ratings equal or better than the BTS240A.

Edit: Oops, Ian beat me to it. ;)

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012
The circuit has been designed for many years ago by a compagny. They lust have know what component to use. So i think it should be the right one to use

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012
Have measured the input to mosfet
But when the motor start i can not get anything but when motor is running i get 5.2v but as i can understand the circuit the mosfet is only used for soft start/stop
The 5.2v is between gate and ground.

Can i sagely change the mosfet and to what would you suggest

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The circuit has been designed for many years ago by a compagny. They lust have know what component to use. So i think it should be the right one to use
I think you may have an unduly optimistic view of the expertise of the engineers who built the circuit. :rolleyes:
It's a quite common mistake to misunderstand how to properly drive a MOSFET as a switch.

Certainly if the device keeps failing then something was not designed properly.
We are just suggesting what that may be.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I think you may have an unduly optimistic view of the expertise of the engineers who built the circuit. :rolleyes:
It's a quite common mistake to misunderstand how to properly drive a MOSFET as a switch.

Certainly if the device keeps failing then something was not designed properly.
We are just suggesting what that may be.
By all accounts - the MOSFET has been replaced on a number of previous occasions.

Its entirely possible that the entirely random first failure involved a LL MOSFET, and subsequent replacements were not LL.