Broken part on a PCB.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I have a broken part as shown on the pics , does it effect on somthing or I just neglect it ?
It's an inductor and it doesn't look like it's broken to the point where it won't work.

Obviously, you can't neglect it if it's actually broken.

Hatem-Eg

Joined Jan 4, 2024
Welcome to AAC!
It's an inductor and it doesn't look like it's broken to the point where it won't work.

Obviously, you can't neglect it if it's actually broken.
It's only that part on the top of it is broken , doesn't seems the wire have any issues.

So it will work normally if this part of the top missed?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The top of the inductor is broken.
Depending on the function of the inductor in the circuit, it may or may not make a difference.
Does the unit still work properly?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If it is the power storage inductor in a switcher supply it will mage a fair difference, but if it is just a power filter then not so much difference. So once again we do not have enough information for us to give the best advice.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
So this part don't effects on induction or something?
No it has no effect on fit or function. If you are worried about it wrap some tape around making a form and pour some epoxy resin in to fill the form. When the resin sets up remove the tape. Unless the coil is damaged no, the broken plastic changes nothing.

Ron

Hatem-Eg

Joined Jan 4, 2024
No it has no effect on fit or function. If you are worried about it wrap some tape around making a form and pour some epoxy resin in to fill the form. When the resin sets up remove the tape. Unless the coil is damaged no, the broken plastic changes nothing.

Ron
I dont think the coil damaged , i dropped it by mistake from low distance like 15cm only , I didn't expect this will broke it , but will try to fill the missed part and see

Hatem-Eg

Joined Jan 4, 2024
Does it work? if so- no problem.

What looks to be broken is the ferrite core material, it's part of the magnetic circuit, the inductance will be altered.
I would replace the part.
Didn't try anything yet , but if the replacement is a must , can you tell me please its replacement number or alternative?
Sorry, I have a little knowledge with electronics
I got a pics from the Internet for the same part of this circuit ...

Attachments

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
It's an inductor. Without the top flange the inductance will be lower than spec.
It might still work, but best to replace it.

Hatem-Eg

Joined Jan 4, 2024
It's an inductor. Without the top flange the inductance will be lower than spec.
It might still work, but best to replace it.
Can I fill the broken part place with epoxy resin to fill the form and will give the same value ?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I got a pics from the Internet for the same part of this circuit ...
So that is not actually your part? It took twelve post into the thread for you to mention that? That being the case I have no idea if your board will function or not. I based my replies on the pictures you posted. Now all bets are off.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, those photos show both a value and a part ID. The value is "101K", but I am not sure of the units. Going by the "DELPHI" logo on the board with the broken part, and having worked for that company for a while, and seeing the shape, it may be a fuel injection pump piece, or some other part of a vehicle control system.
Delphi Diesel was not such a good employer, by the way.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
So that is not actually your part? It took twelve post into the thread for you to mention that? That being the case I have no idea if your board will function or not. I based my replies on the pictures you posted. Now all bets are off.

Ron
Those appear to be of another of the same part. So we have seen the actual part and then additional pictures of what appears to be a slightly more current version. So don't lose your cool over it. We can see the busted part and the non-busted part.

Hatem-Eg

Joined Jan 4, 2024
Guesstimate 100 uH inductor. Replacement cost is very expensive at $0.68 USD or in single lots of one about 68 cents. :) Considering cost I would just remove and replace.

Ron
Cost is not the issue at all and its not compared with wasting time for all of you nice people to reply, plus I'm not an electronics engineer and not all of components are easily to get the same part number in my place , thats why I came here to ask for help just in case if I didn't find the exact the same value with the same type of the component how to solve the problem.

This circuit is for gear shifter on my mercedes and I know control units are more sensitive a little.

Is it a "SMD Power Inductor" 100uH ?

Attachments