Bridge Rectifier not getting power, what could be the cause when all other components seems ok

Kuffour Appianin

Joined Mar 6, 2017
I'm working on a faulty electronic microscope, I have replaced all faulty components on the power board but AC power is not getting into the bridge rectifier and the metal frame of the microscope is also given shocks. Any help?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I'm working on a faulty electronic microscope, I have replaced all faulty components on the power board but AC power is not getting into the bridge rectifier and the metal frame of the microscope is also given shocks. Any help?
The metal frame giving shocks would generally be indicative of a grounding problem. Not sure how South African Ghana power distribution works but I would imagine 220/240 Volt a Neutral and a Ground. I would start by measuring metal case to a known good ground and seeing what you have and what is creating the shocks.

Ron

Kuffour Appianin

Joined Mar 6, 2017
I think this should be your main concern right now. By finding out why you are getting shocked, you might find your rectifier problem.
It is a 110V power which was accidentally plugged into a 220V outlet. I'm using a stepdown transformer now and facing that challenge. If I measure the voltage across the resistor before the first AC foot of the bridge rectifier, I get the 110V. But if I measure both AC foot of the Bridge diode, there is no voltage

Kuffour Appianin

Joined Mar 6, 2017
The metal frame giving shocks would generally be indicative of a grounding problem. Not sure how South African Ghana power distribution works but I would imagine 220/240 Volt a Neutral and a Ground. I would start by measuring metal case to a known good ground and seeing what you have and what is creating the shocks.

Ron
Is 220/240V, basically a grounding problem and don't know what actually is causing that? Could it be the cause why power is not getting to the bridge rectifier?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
It is a 110V power which was accidentally plugged into a 220V outlet. I'm using a stepdown transformer now and facing that challenge. If I measure the voltage across the resistor before the first AC foot of the bridge rectifier, I get the 110V. But if I measure both AC foot of the Bridge diode, there is no voltage
So there you go, your resistor is Open Circuit!