bridge rectifier gets too hot

ulzi

Joined Dec 16, 2018
guys, pls see pictures of curcuits and advice me .

by 1,2 cutcuits , it is ok , all working good.
but by circuits 3 , problem .
bridge rectifier gets too hot very fast , and variac is humming, ( seems a lot current draws from variac to capacitor. )

i have no idea how to fix this , and can't understand what is going wrong

pls ???

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
A variac does not give any isolation. (It is an autotransformer.) One side of your signal source is probably connected to ground which will be shorting out diodes in the bridge rectifier. Use a proper isolating transformer.

Les.

ulzi

Joined Dec 16, 2018
A variac does not give any isolation. (It is an autotransformer.) One side of your signal source is probably connected to ground which will be shorting out diodes in the bridge rectifier. Use a proper isolating transformer.

Les.
Les , thanks

so, you mean , don;t use variac, instead of variac use simple step down transformer??

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Yes, Or have a 230 V to 230 V isolating transformer between the mains supply and the variac. The problem is that the neutral side of the mains is connected to ground at some point in the power distribution system. So as you are grounding the negative output of the bridge via the signal source some of the diodes will be shorted out.

Les.

ulzi

Joined Dec 16, 2018
Yes, Or have a 230 V to 230 V isolating transformer between the mains supply and the variac. The problem is that the neutral side of the mains is connected to ground at some point in the power distribution system. So as you are grounding the negative output of the bridge via the signal source some of the diodes will be shorted out.

Les.
Aaaan , I seeee, Understood well. Les , thank you very much.

may i put isolation transformer between the variac and capacitor ?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You can use any solution that provides a floating AC supply to the input of the bridge rectifier.
NOTE you may have allready destroyed some of the diodes in the bridge rectifier.

Les.