Best oscilloscope right now under 500$

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I saw that he DSO213 is the new version but they’re about $170. But the 212 is better than the NANO with higher freq. I wish there was a store I can go to play with one before putting in an order.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is anyone interested in building a DIY oscilloscope from scratch based on the ARM STM32F746G-DISCO?

The price and performance cannot compete with what is commercially available. However, it would make a great ARM learning project.

If there is sufficient interest I can start a new blog. I can provide estimates on cost and performance. This can also be done as an open source project.
(If there is interest, I can move this to a new thread.)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Is anyone interested in building a DIY oscilloscope from scratch based on the ARM STM32F746G-DISCO?

The price and performance cannot compete with what is commercially available. However, it would make a great ARM learning project.

If there is sufficient interest I can start a new blog. I can provide estimates on cost and performance. This can also be done as an open source project.
(If there is interest, I can move this to a new thread.)
It certainly sounds like an interesting project.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Personally I like the new cheap scopes. They take up less space on my bench and work reasonable well. The DSO5202P is not bad for $270. Can’t get over how light they are compared to the old CRT ones.

Teljkon

Joined Jan 24, 2019
Personally I like the new cheap scopes. They take up less space on my bench and work reasonable well. The DSO5202P is not bad for $270. Can’t get over how light they are compared to the old CRT ones.

Kinda seems to be one one of those things though where for that money i can add 200$ more and get a much better scope. Honestly more i look at it for what I am thinking of doing a microscope set up to display on my pc makes allot more sense. I don't see a scope on allot of guys benches doing cell repairs visa via You Tube. They all have a micro scope though.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Kinda seems to be one one of those things though where for that money i can add 200$ more and get a much better scope. Honestly more i look at it for what I am thinking of doing a microscope set up to display on my pc makes allot more sense. I don't see a scope on allot of guys benches doing cell repairs visa via You Tube. They all have a micro scope though.
So the Subject should have added - for Phone repair?

Oscilloscope was invaluable troubleshooting my latest project. I have heard great things about Sigilent... And yes more money usually better.

As for microscopes there is a $30 - $200 range online (VGA-4K). You want clear video, built in screen helps (bigger the better) with hmdi output being nice feature. Also the focal length should be far enough that you can work underneath. Fortunately I'm limiting myself to 0805 at the moment and can see well enough with my reading glasses. But for phones I can see why you would want one.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have an AmScope optical microscope without a camera. It does 10x and 20x with a very good working distance. It wasn't very expensive and it's been really great.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Oops wrong thread...

To replace my Fluke 113 - It's almost useless...
Which was given to me and was not bad until I replaced a bunch of 100k and higher resistors - thought they were bad :p
upload_2019-4-17_9-1-35.png

upload_2019-4-17_8-59-6.png

I will order more of these. They are now $19. This one is rock solid... did my own tests with it. Nice build with good shunt, diode dividers and ceramic fuses. It almost comparable to the protection circuitry in Fluke. The large fuse is smaller which is fine... fuses blowing is a safety feature.

Next one I order will have thermocouple.

upload_2019-4-17_8-53-5.png
upload_2019-4-17_9-5-54.pngupload_2019-4-17_9-5-54.png

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The Fluke 113 is a basic instrument for a tool bag. Fluke has very specific models for different applications, this one is not for electronics, its for electrical work.

It's still a top quality meter.