Astable multivibrator

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Why don't you read through your textbook some more?

While we will help students with their homework (in the Homework Help forum), it does them no good to simply hand them an answer. You need to improve on your researching skills.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi G,
A crystal oscillator would be used in real time clocks.

A simple Astable would be used as a 'clocking' signal for timers and counters.

E

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Use your imagination! Blinky lights, basic clocks for circuits (including microprocessors), the applications really are endless.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
The most common application for a two transistor multivibrator I have seen in real life is in those fake security cameras, to flash the red LED from a couple of AA cells so people think the fake camera is a real one.

Probably used in children's toys for flashing lights too. It's interesting that they can use a tiny PCB with two transistors and other parts and be cheaper in total parts and labour than a flashing LED is.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
The most common application for a two transistor multivibrator I have seen in real life is in those fake security cameras, to flash the red LED from a couple of AA cells so people think the fake camera is a real one.

Probably used in children's toys for flashing lights too. It's interesting that they can use a tiny PCB with two transistors and other parts and be cheaper in total parts and labour than a flashing LED is.
I found one in a motorcycle indicator realy - the (almost) electronic original equipment motorcycle indicator relays are much less reliable than car ones, and a lot more expensive!

Next time I can't get my hands on a car relay, I have the multivibrator circuit that I traced out.