Arduino Star Sky Project: LED vs. fiber optics

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by papperlapub, Nov 19, 2017.

1. papperlapub

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and hope you´re all doing well.

I have a question regarding a project I am about to start on and would like to ask you for advice for the very initial start. I hope to find some good advice regarding what basic overall system I should use for this project.

General Info on the project:

- I want to build a star sky for my kids for christmas, where I can control which stars are on/off and the brightness of the stars with an arduino.
    - The result should look something like this, albeit not that big: http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Star-Map/
    - This uses a fiber optics as basis, where I cannot control each star individually.
    - I thought that using LEDs would allow me to address each one individually for example using DotStar LEDs
    - Using LEDs (probably a few hundred) puts of course strong emphasise on safety and the circuit. I am an old mechanical engineer and I had training in basics electronics, but I have to be honest and say that it is a loong time ago. So I need to refresh this.
    - I live in continental Europe so power outtake here is 240V, 50Hz

Where do I need help:
    - I am not so worried about the programming of the arduino, but I need help to figure out the circuit and the basic components. So my question is: Do you recommend using LEDs or optical fibers, are there any new technical devices that would allow me using optical fibers where I can address each star separately? So I know it is a very basic question and I am sorry, if this is a too open question for this forum, but I would be very thankful for any tip in what direction I should start the journey of this project.

All the best and thank you very much!!

2. DNA Robotics

Jun 13, 2014
    papperlapub likes this.
  3. papperlapub

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Dear DNA Robotics. Thank you very much!! This looks really promising and it seems to make the whole circuit much easier. If I can work with an Arduino with this (I will contact the manufacturer) then I’m going to start working on the circuit design.

Thanks again for the help!