Arduino and MPLABX

woz999

Joined Nov 18, 2015
Hi,

I have an RC522 RFID board, and I'd like it to be connected to a door lock and an LCD screen.
I'm currently thinking of ways to go about this, although I have a couple of queries.

I have used MPLABX before to program a PIC for a uni module, although never used the Arduino software before. From what I have gathered already that the Arduino is a starting point, so if i have had experience with MPLABX and C before this should be pretty quick to pick up?

Is there an arduino board which you can plug in your own PIC, if so which PIC is the best option to use?

Thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
AFAIK the PIC and the Arduino inhabit two different ecosystems. I'm not aware that MPLABX will support any of the processors made by Atmel that are used in the Arduino ecosystem. Likewise I'm pretty sure that the Arduino software and libraries will not support any PIC processor. Given all that, the concept is not completely insane, but it would require an extraordinary level of cooperation among competitors for no discernible commercial purpose.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Why would you need a PIC and an Arduino?
Its just like Ford and Toyota.. Both make cars.. You only need to be driving one at a time.

Just use the arduino IDE and follow any of the numerous RC522 tutorials out there..
https://www.addicore.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/Product Downloadables/RFID_RC522/RFIDQuickStartGuide.pdf

Or if you want to use MPLAB/PIC then put the arduino aside for another project..

and here is some info on using code written for Arduino and being able to use MPLAB and program PICs with it
http://circuitcellar.com/cc-blog/ex...in-a-pic-microcontroller-using-the-mplab-ide/

woz999

Joined Nov 18, 2015
Thanks for your replies, I've found this on the Microchip website
This tutorial shows the method of using an Arduino UNO board as a PIC microcontroller programmer. This method has been tested with PIC 18F2550 and 18f4550 but can be used to program the following pic:
  • 18F2420
  • 18F2455
  • 18F2520
  • 18F2550
  • 18F4420
  • 18F4455
  • 18F4520
  • 18F4550
Basically, my idea was this;
RC522 RFID, which is connected to another circuit board which has either of the PICS above on it, connect the RC522 onto the correct pins, along with the LCD and Door lock.

It's for a university project so I have to be a bit more open minded about just buying the RC522 with arduino, and writing a bit of code for it all to work.

Thanks

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That is an article on how to use an Arduino to program a pic not how to use mplabx on an Arduino.
Why anyone would want to buy theirself that kind of grief is beyond me. If you want to program a pic then buy a pic kit 2 or 3.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
If you want to use a PIC.. Then use a PIC
If you want to use Arduino.. Then use Arduino.
You nave NO need for both.. Its one or the other..
And use tools suited for whichever you decide to use.

woz999

Joined Nov 18, 2015
Thank you so much for help.
Thanks for clearing it up, I'll try and go with it PIC based as it'll be a bit more interesting and extra information to write up when doing the final report.
I'll by-pass the arduino uno unit and from the RC552 RFID board, i'll link this to another home-made pcb which will have the pic situated. Also a port to program. :)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I have no difficulty using Arduino sources for PIC.
Only a few dont work where you exploit specific Atmel device hardware such as software USB.