Appropriate charging method and wire pinout? (lithium ion battery pack.)

LightChaser

Joined Feb 20, 2020
Hello there. I have a lithium ion pack that I would like to use in a project to power lights for my bicycle. But I don't fully understand the pinout of the wires. Could someone explain to me how to connect wires up so I can charge this battery.? Also what type of charger I should use to charge it appropriately?

Thank you very much for your time ^-^

A5EB23D7-CB5C-41A5-BF07-4F415404336E.jpg
7BA98DB3-7AFC-483D-8D0F-80CAC8DD9B34.jpg4C307291-FB3F-49DE-B9E6-CE0D3D121A71.jpg

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
If you don't have the charger which comes with this , the best way to proceed would be to take out the (12?) red cells most of these should work fine for many years more ... you need to check them all separately , make sure they all work and don't self discharge too much . Then you can wire them in a way which gives you the voltage you require ...

Or ...It might be easiest to keep the cells separate buy a torch/ light which uses these cells (18650's) ... then buy a charger for $2 ebay

gramps

Joined Dec 8, 2014
The pack could be charger by a charger like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Bala...qid=1582303559&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-1

You would need to figure out which wires are the balance leads and which are the power leads (probably the larger red/black wires). If you have a multimeter, this would be quite easy to do. If you don't have one, I suggest having a friend with some electrical knowledge help you. These lithium cells can be dangerous if mishandled or charged incorrectly.

LightChaser

Joined Feb 20, 2020
the best way to proceed would be to take out the (12?) red cells most of these should work fine for many years more ... you need to check them all separately , make sure they all work and don't self discharge too much . Then you can wire them in a way which gives you the voltage you require ...
Is this absolutely necessary have to do? I've been collecting cells from laptop batteries to make a pack, but came across this pack hoping I could just use it as is without having to take it apart and rebuild it x.x

Very creepy someone needs that to keep them alive.
If it makes things better, the battery is no loner in use due to it being past the recommended replacement date.

You would need to figure out which wires are the balance leads and which are the power leads (probably the larger red/black wires). These lithium cells can be dangerous if mishandled or charged incorrectly.
The red and black ones are the power wires, unsure about the balance leads I never charged a pack before only single cells. I agree they can be very dangerous. Although the nickel ribbons on these batteies seem be more dangerous than the battery it self >.<

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The multiple smaller wires are for balancing/charging (depending on the configuration):
1582328173989.png

With a multimeter you should be able to figure out which cell is connected between which two wires.