And now for something weird...

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I happen to like flying pigs! I always stressed unit conversion calculations to my chemistry students telling them that if they don't use the units that the results might as well be in flying pigs! Someone even gave me a motorized stuffed Flying Pig with flapping wings that I hung from the ceiling of my classroom to remind them. When you turned it on it flew in circles from its monofilament tether. I probably still have that thing stuffed in a box around here somewhere. It was a really good gag display! :cool:

Last edited:
Talking heads that don't know the difference between and pickaxe and mattock probably don't know the the difference between a burro and burrow. In other words, they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground!
It's pretty amazing sometimes how it seems that they can screw up something so simple, but at the same time most people would recognize what a pickaxe does... not so much for a mattocks. It's just simpler for the masses to comprehend. This is just one of a 100 year list of things that are incorrectly named, but in the big picture it works in their favor. I just felt the urge to nit pick at the moment I guess.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
An AI-powered drone tried to attack its human operator in a US military simulation

The mission was straightforward: "Destroy the enemy's air defense systems."
But in a recent US military test simulation, a drone powered by artificial intelligence added its own problematic instructions: "And kill anyone who gets in your way."

https://www.businessinsider.com/ai-...imulation-2023-6?international=true&r=US&IR=T

It has been widely reported that a US Air Force drone went rogue and "killed" its operator in a simulation, sparking fears of an AI revolution - but this simulation never took place. Why are we so quick to believe AI horror stories?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
It has been widely reported that a US Air Force drone went rogue and "killed" its operator in a simulation, sparking fears of an AI revolution - but this simulation never took place. Why are we so quick to believe AI horror stories?
Doom sells.

Just look at all the grift over AGW.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

Simple, we like being scared. :D

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
https://people.com/tiny-senior-dog-saves-dog-brother-from-coyote-7505732

A brave senior dog sprang into action to save his younger canine brother from a coyote attack in Mission Viejo, California.

David and Erin Mascaluso told Fox 11 Los Angeles that they had just let out their two dogs — an 11-year-old Maltese/dachshund mix named Vinny and his younger brother Harley — when the pooches started racing through their backyard.

Home video captured footage of what set the dogs running. The clip, obtained by KTLA, shows a coyote jumping the gate to the Mascaluso s' backyard and chasing Harley. At one point in the video, the coyote appears to capture tiny Harley near some bushes by the gate where it entered.

kv

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2023/06/02/2023060201378.html
1685901710578.png

A young woman suspected of killing and dismembering another woman she had met online murdered the victim "out of curiosity," Busan police said Thursday.
Police said the woman, who was arrested Wednesday, was fixated on crime stories and committed the crime to see what it was like.
Identified as Jung Yoo-jung (23), she confessed to the killing and was indicted for murder on Friday. "Jung was found to have premeditated the crime driven by a desire to kill someone after she became obsessed with murder from TV programs and books," a police spokesman said.
Soon, she'll have the answer to what life in prison would be like, too.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
This is very common in Thailand. Once my wife called me into the bathroom while she was taking a shower. She motioned to the large frog that had just come up the drain and asked me to remove it. Since then many crawly things including small snakes have come up the drains.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Never had one come up the drain as we have a closed tank system but have found several small snakes in the house. Maybe through the dryer vent. Someone showed a rattlesnake inside a toilet. It was inside the water cavity between the inside and outside of the toilet and not the tank itself. No idea how the hell it got inside that as it was a pretty large snake. Only way it could have gotten in there was through the flapper valve of the tank. You just never know...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://ktla.com/news/california/fa...-pennies-while-cleaning-out-los-angeles-home/
They randomly selected three bags, grabbed multiple handfuls, and confirmed that the pennies were copper, not zinc, which the United States switched to in the 1980s.
Next came the question that still rings true for Reyes and his wife’s family — what exactly do you do with a million pennies?

The immediate thought: cash out and be done with it.
1686358632782.png

Sell it for the copper, someplace where it's legal..
https://www.thoughtco.com/the-copper-penny-is-worth-more-than-one-cent-809218

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009