Alternative open frame power supply solutions?

Jamiel92

Joined Jan 26, 2020
After my initial newbie post, I have decided I want to use an open frame power supply for my project. (Low power fan heater) I have looked at a few and I'm not sure whether I am either looking incorrectly or what I am looking for is just out of my price range and a cheaper option doesn't exist, hense why I am asking for your knowledge to find a cheaper alternative but not compromising on quality.

The hardware I'm using requires;
12v dc
5.83amps (at maximum drain)
70 watts (ish)

It will have a UK mains supply (230v/240v)
I am happy to shave the amps down to a minimum of 4amps if necessary and as low as 60 watts.

The ones I have found are the "Fiduspower" TCF6512 or a similar "Meanwell".

I dont require it to be medical grade. I just need it to be as cheap as possible.

Thanks in advance!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
It is either who makes them for Mean Well or a knockoff and it is inexpensive. Uncharacteristically there is far more data on the site for these than the typical chinesium stuff.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
In your last thread I gave you a link to an inexpensive open frame 10 Amp supply. When it comes to power supplies there is no shortage of them available. If you want high reliability and quality you will be paying for it and dealing with a reputable manufacturer and if you want simply cheap and can live with a unit that likely won't meet its own specifications then I suggest any of the junk out there. There is only so much that can be said about a 12 Volt PSU. What case shape? Any ideas for cooling? How about output tolerance, would that be a concern? Look towards TDK (formerly Lamda) or other high end manufacturers if you want quality but figure on paying for it. While your load requirement is just under 6.0 Amps you will see suggestions of 10 Amp supplies. This allows for overhead and 10 Amp is pretty common. Just keep in mind you will likely get what you pay for and no, what you are seeing as to price spread is not at all unusual.

Ron

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I have an old ATX power supply out of a computer I scrapped out some years ago. Have done modifications to it so it can be used as a bench top power supply. The 12 volt output is listed as +12VA at 18 amps and +12VB also at 18 amps. I don't quite understand the VA and VB part of it but at the very very least, it's 18 amps on a 12 volt line. It also has 5 volts at 22QA and 3.3 volts at 17A. Cost me nothing as it came out of an older computer that ceased to function.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I have an old ATX power supply out of a computer I scrapped out some years ago. Have done modifications to it so it can be used as a bench top power supply. The 12 volt output is listed as +12VA at 18 amps and +12VB also at 18 amps. I don't quite understand the VA and VB part of it but at the very very least, it's 18 amps on a 12 volt line. It also has 5 volts at 22QA and 3.3 volts at 17A. Cost me nothing as it came out of an older computer that ceased to function.
The 12VA and 12VB are likely what is more commonly called the 12V1 and 12V2 rails of an ATX form factor PSU. Somewhere around 2005 ATX power supplies began using an additional 12 volt rail and each has its own separate circuitry. If I recall correctly one rail feeds the 20/24 pin motherboard connector and the other the CPU connector and any additional PCIE connectors. I believe that was the original intent. That would be a guess as to 12VA and 12VB being the same as 12V1 and 12V2.

Ron