Adding Momentary Stops to 120v AC drill

Devlyn Allin

Joined Sep 22, 2016
If that is an AC Universal motor the armature leads are reversed WRT the field hence the number of wires on the switch.
If the drill is dedicated to the scissor lift, then I would make a permanent wiring with a relay enclosure etc to perform what is needed.
Max.
Yes it will be dedicated. In that case could i take, the 4 red wires and attach them to a DPDT switch with the 120v in the middle attached to a fan controller for speed??? and run 2 momentary for my limits connected seperatly to each direction??

Im starting to fall into posts of the same nature, Except for these damn momentarts that disconnect both directions

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Yes it will be dedicated. In that case could i take, the 4 red wires and attach them to a DPDT switch with the 120v in the middle attached to a fan controller for speed??? and run 2 momentary for my limits connected seperatly to each direction??

Im starting to fall into posts of the same nature, Except for these damn momentarts that disconnect both directions
I would say "no".
Draw it up.
I see no simple way to stop "one direction". Nor do I see why you need to.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
My take would be to set up a relay box with the UP & DWN limits and 2 momentary P.B.'s so that you can release at any time or jog if needed until limit is reached.
Max.

You might look into using a drum switch. e.g. http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/reversing-drum-switch/
combined with your limit switches.

Where I used to work we had hoists that used large AC motors with limit switches. They had 3PDT (on)-OFF-(on) switches on them.

In order for the limit switches to work, you need to know the direction you need to go.

Usually the limits are non-momentary.

Usually the drum switches PREVENT mechanically instantaneous forward and reverse which is a good thing.
You can go from fwd to rev without totally stopping at off.

I never wired one up, yet.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The only thing I would have against a drum switch in this application is it can be switched and let go, whereas a MOM P.B. requires operating until done, or released as required to stop for safety purposes.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
IMO you need a small reverser contactor, they are fairly cheap on ebay, Telemecanique for around $20.00 etc.
This way the directions are mechanically and electrically interlocked to prevent any conflict using two buttons and the buttons and the limits only take the coil power not the motor current.
Max.

Devlyn Allin

Joined Sep 22, 2016
IMO you need a small reverser contactor, they are fairly cheap on ebay, Telemecanique for around $20.00 etc.
This way the directions are mechanically and electrically interlocked to prevent any conflict using two buttons and the buttons and the limits only take the coil power not the motor current.
Max.
You mean something like this? Its 240v 50/60hz my drill is 120v 60hz so it should be able to hand it$_1.JPG

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Ive tried your diagram and it stops Both forward and reverse.
Ive tried it after the lever switch and
Now i tried it from the ac line leaving the trigger going to the winding and it stops both ( which to me makes sense )
Diagram just shows connections to reversing contactor coils.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is just the interlock, the contactor reverser pairs usually come complete with the mechanical and electrical contacts for interlocking.
Max.

Devlyn Allin

Joined Sep 22, 2016
drill wiring.jpg Please forgive my crude drawing, But using the unit for forward and reverse and the wires that are supplied from winding and brushs,
does this look right?