Adding momentary switches instead of DPDT Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekremgusani

Joined Mar 20, 2011
Thanks to the scottwang i made the reversing motor that i can choose to control by remote control (momentary mode) or by momentary DPDT Switch. Motor is used to control windows blinds.
Please see attached schematic.
How i can add 2 SPST NO momentary push switches instead of the momentary DPDT Switch?
Please reply by schematic.
Thanks.
5F8BAA42-1625-4BA5-A87B-86A16E1A7D2E.jpeg

Mods Note:
The last posted was list below:
How to add switches to 2 channel remote
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/how-to-add-switches-to-2-channel-remote.142561/

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The functions of DPDT and SPST are different, so please describe what kind of the new function that your want to reach?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Thanks to the scottwang i made the reversing motor that i can choose to control by remote control (momentary mode) or by momentary DPDT Switch. Motor is used to control windows blinds.
Please see attached schematic.
How i can add 2 SPST NO momentary push switches instead of the momentary DPDT Switch?
Please reply by schematic.
Thanks.
View attachment 141198
Hi,

Converting two SPST momentary switches into a SPST or DPDT switch may require different components like an H bridge and some latching mechanism, but if you are willing to stay with a relay solution then you can get away with a latching DPDT relay.

The best type is probably the two coil type because then you can use one momentary SPST switch per coil so each switch activates its respective coil only..
Press one button the relay switches to one state, press the other button and the relay switches to the other state, press the first button again and it goes back to the first state again.
The wiring is ever so simple. One switch per coil, each switch in series with its coil. The coil voltage must match the system voltage, so if you have 5v available then you want a latching relay with 5v coils.

ekremgusani

Joined Mar 20, 2011
Hi,

Converting two SPST momentary switches into a SPST or DPDT switch may require different components like an H bridge and some latching mechanism, but if you are willing to stay with a relay solution then you can get away with a latching DPDT relay.

The best type is probably the two coil type because then you can use one momentary SPST switch per coil so each switch activates its respective coil only..
Press one button the relay switches to one state, press the other button and the relay switches to the other state, press the first button again and it goes back to the first state again.
The wiring is ever so simple. One switch per coil, each switch in series with its coil. The coil voltage must match the system voltage, so if you have 5v available then you want a latching relay with 5v coils.
Can you please make schematic?

ekremgusani

Joined Mar 20, 2011
Your description quite strange, the momentary SPST switch should be a push button switch, so please describe more clearly as your last thread.
i don't know how much clearly I can describe it...,
I want to control the reversing motor for windows blinds by remote control and the momentary push buttons, so when i using push buttons instead of the remote control, i want when i press 1st button the motor going forward and when i pressed the 2nd button the motor is going reverse/backwards.
I already have working circuit that is working by remote control and DPDT switch toggle switch but i want to use push buttons instead of the dpdt toggle switch to control the reversing motor.
I am just learning about electronics so have no idea if there are DPDT momentary push buttons?! If there are DPDT momentary push buttons then i can just replace the DPDT toggle switch with the DPDT push buttons..
Just googled and find that there are momentary dpdt push buttons.
How then can pinout the dpdt momentary push button to control the reversing motor and also to be able to use the remote control too..
So, it is very same circuits you made but instead of single momentary toggle DPDT i need to ad momentary DPDT Push switch to control the reversing motor.
How to connect them, i would need 2x DPDT momentary push buttons?

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
i don't know how much clearly I can describe it...,
I want to control the reversing motor for windows blinds by remote control and the momentary push buttons, so when i using push buttons instead of the remote control, i want when i press 1st button the motor going forward and when i pressed the 2nd button the motor is going reverse/backwards.
I already have working circuit that is working by remote control and DPDT switch toggle switch but i want to use push buttons instead of the dpdt toggle switch to control the reversing motor.
I am just learning about electronics so have no idea if there are DPDT momentary push buttons?! If there are DPDT momentary push buttons then i can just replace the DPDT toggle switch with the DPDT push buttons..
Just googled and find that there are momentary dpdt push buttons.
How then can pinout the dpdt momentary push button to control the reversing motor and also to be able to use the remote control too..
So, it is very same circuits you made but instead of single momentary toggle DPDT i need to ad momentary DPDT Push switch to control the reversing motor.
How to connect them, i would need 2x DPDT momentary push buttons?
I already made the linked page in the #17 of the last thread, probably you didn't check it.
You can check some products like this in the linked page.

6 pin momentary switches push button.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
those are great but how it will control back reverse motor? if pressed it will control just 1 way of the motor?
The function of Push Button Switch is the same with the toggle switch or Slide Switch, just the operation method different, the Push Button Switch have two types, the first one is Momentary Push Button Switch and the second one is Push Button Switch with self-locking function, and what you need is the first one Momentary Push Button Switch.

6 Pin DPDT Momentary Push Button Switch.

ekremgusani

Joined Mar 20, 2011
The function of Momentary Push Button Switch is the same with the toggle switch or Slide Switch, just the operation method different, the Push Button Switch have two types, the first one is Momentary Push Button Switch and the second one is Push Button Switch with self-locking function, and what you need is the first one Momentary Push Button Switch.

6 Pin DPDT Momentary Push Button Switch.
I don’t understand how it can control reversing motor if i just pressed it, the toggle switch i can move right/left to control the motor but how can momentary dpdt push button control 2way motor? If pressed it will control the motor to go forward but how then it will control reverse function as there is only push option?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I don’t understand how it can control reversing motor if i just pressed it, the toggle switch i can move right/left to control the motor but how can momentary dpdt push button control 2way motor? If pressed it will control the motor to go forward but how then it will control reverse function as there is only push option?
You can trace the wiring of DPDT1 switch when the pin 2,3 are shorted and when the pin 1,2 are shorted, the slide switch or toggle switch like a self-locking switch when you move them in any direction then they will be stuck, so the pin 1 or pin 3 will be selected with pin 2, now when you using the Momentary Push Button Switch, the action is the same, just there is no function like self-locking, if you press the button and when your finger leave the button then it will be back to the original status, so you just choose the pin 1,2 or pin 2,3 which two pins that you like to wiring.

ekremgusani

Joined Mar 20, 2011
You can trace the wiring of DPDT1 switch when the pin 2,3 are shorted and when the pin 1,2 are shorted, the slide switch or toggle switch like a self-locking switch when you move them in any direction then they will be stuck, so the pin 1 or pin 3 will be selected with pin 2, now when you using the Momentary Push Button Switch, the action is the same, just there is no function like self-locking, if you press the button and when your finger leave the button then it will be back to the original status, so you just choose the pin 1,2 or pin 2,3 which two pins that you like to wiring.
Can you please edit your schematic so i can understand as i am new at electronics,i am really appreciate it, sorry for trouble.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The Momentary Push Button Switch shows below, the default wiring was changed to forward of motor, when you push the button then it will be change to the back function of motor and when your finger leave the button then it will be return to the default forward function.

You can also do the same thing for the DPDT2.

DPDT or Remote control Switch-02_ekremgusani.jpg

ekremgusani

Joined Mar 20, 2011
View attachment 141255[/QUOTE]
The Momentary Push Button Switch shows below, the default wiring was changed to forward of motor, when you push the button then it will be change to the back function of motor and when your finger leave the button then it will be return to the default forward function.
(I forgot to draw the spring in the push button)

You can also do the same thing for the DPDT2.

View attachment 141255
Thank you very much, does this mean the motor will be in forward motion even if I don’t pressing the switch if so then I cannot use this switch for windows blinds motor as the motor will continuously work/rotate forward even if not pressed.
I need it to work only when pressed to open and close the windows blinds when needed.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Then you have to use the switch with three states, the middle position is open or use another power switch to turn on/off the power.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
OK, here's my solution:

FYI: What you want can't be done without adding more relays. Relays are Double Throw switches that are just controlled by an electro magnet.

Mine below shows that no matter what button is pressed the motor will travel in a given direction. Whether you press MSW1 or trigger RCSW1, the motor will turn - lets call it - clockwise. When any of the #2 switches are pressed the motor turns in the opposite direction. If you push two buttons at once (one #1 and one #2) the motor will stop. There can be no short circuit because ground is never in contact with power except through the motor. You can replace MSW's with relays and control the relays with a SPST switch, but now you're adding more complications to your circuit. Follow this configuration and you will have success.

Remote motor.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.