A potential earth leakage or is it something else?

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
Hello everyone,

Hope you are all doing fine. I have been facing an electrical issue in my house since last Christmas. When the lights or any appliance with motor in any room are turned off/on the TV would go out and come back ON in a short span (as if the power went out and came back in a second). I recently had some mishaps where my two older PCs had their PSU blown. But I though it was just that the old PSUs had reached its end of life. Then recently my new under one month old PSU in new PC built just died.

So, I took my multimeter and checked the voltages first from two 220V kitchen outlet that is directly wired from the panel next room and it shows Phase-Phase=223V & both Phase-Ground=220V. Then I tried the other 110V outlets in the house and they all have Neutral-Phase 123V, Neutral-Ground=0.4V & Phase-Ground=49.2V. Next trying other 220V outlets also gave Phase-Phase=223V and both Phase - Grounds=49.2V. So, except for the 220V outlet directly from the breaker in the kitchen something is off. Anyone here can help me out with what could be the potential situation? Because of this pandemic situation I have held off calling an electrician until now.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum section. I'm confused if this should be posted here or in power electronics section.

Thanks in advance

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I don't really understand US electrical supply, but with that proviso, I believe the problem is with the ground. If you have a metal water pipe coming into the house, measure the voltage (and if the voltage is very low, the resistance) between the pipe and the ground.

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
You may have a bad connection on your neutral circuit.
Maybe in the breaker panel.
Be careful testing this. Parts of your neutral may have voltage on them.
A good first test, if you have an infra-red thermometer, is to scan the breaker panel for hot spots. Best to turn on lights & motors to put a load on it.
Lost neutral.jpg

This video is long but he eventually explains it well.