12V to 5V and only positive

dhl2002

Joined Nov 17, 2018
I'm looking to create a system where I wireleslsy control RGB strip lights via DMX (the launage lighting techs use to control stage lighting) but I don't know all that much about electionics. The 2 ebay listing belowing listing below is what I plan on using to create my wireless RGB strip lights and 8 AA batteries but the thing that I'm not sure about how to get a single 5v powersupply to the DMX wireless Transmiiter Receiver when I would be running 12v to the strip lights. Hopefully I have explained that well enough, I'm basically asking what is the best way to step down 12v to 5v.
Also will 8 (or 10 if recharagable) AA batteries be enough for this system.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DMX512-...h=item41e7fb30fc:g:SFIAAOSw4ZxbUbd6:rk:1:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RGB-Con...270512?hash=item21424d1c30:g:VlMAAOSwGYVXBwb0

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Sorry failed to mention the Buck Puck provides 5V out. Not a whole lot of current but plenty to power a micro controller and maybe a few other things.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Powering lights and all of those boards, your 8 AA batteries are not going to last very long. I would do some math on power consumption before buying anything.

dhl2002

Joined Nov 17, 2018
Powering lights and all of those boards, your 8 AA batteries are not going to last very long. I would do some math on power consumption before buying anything.
Could you link me to an aritcle expaling how to do that maths, hopefully one that people who don't know all that much about can understand.

dhl2002

Joined Nov 17, 2018
I'm trying to create this as cheap but reliable as possible, anyone got any recommendations for 12v batteries that can be recharge and and relativily small.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Could you link me to an aritcle expaling how to do that maths, hopefully one that people who don't know all that much about can understand.
It is fairly easy. This article explains it.

https://batteryasking.com/amp-hours-deep-cycle-battery-dual-purposedeep-cycle-battery/
"
It mentions deep cycle batteries but the theroy still applies. Search "ampere hour" or "calculating ampere hour" for more articles.

You would need to look at the specs of all of the things you are powering. Add them up and then do the math as in the article. Compare to the ampere hour or Ah of your battery. These will be the longest you will be able to run the lights under ideal conditions. The actual time will be far less because nothing is ever ideal in the real world.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I'm trying to create this as cheap but reliable as possible, anyone got any recommendations for 12v batteries that can be recharge and and relativily small.

You simply need to select a batter that fits what you require. You would need that those specs first before anyone can recommend anything. It will probably be something in a sealed lead acid battery. I would void battery packs like lion because of their tendency to catch fire. You will need to be careful enough with an SLA.