12v linear actuator wiring diagram - TV bed lift project.

Richard Walsh

Joined Nov 28, 2018
Hi all,

I have bitten off more than I can chew. The project is simple, I have made a cabinet for the end of my bed and hoped to employ one 12v linear actuator to raise and lower the TV as required. I bought:

12v Linear Actuator

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-600m...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Control Unit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Gara...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I have also bought wires and a 12v transformer.

I have attempted to wire this up however with only the parts above I have had no joy with raising the actuator. I know it works as when I directly connected the 12v to the actuator it raises and lowers.

A colleague has commented that I may need two relays in the circuit and limit switches (the actuator has limit switches). The colleague said he knows nothing more but said I should post the problem on this website – as he has had success here in the past.

Any and all help would be appreciated I have contacted the supplier however it’s a factory in China and I am not hoping for much.

Thanks,

Richard

PS: I would generously rate my electronic knowledge at a 2 out of 10.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi Richard,
Welcome to AAC.
Checking the limited info on the controller I would say its contacts are only suitable for low current operation. ie: say a 12V relay.
Your colleague is correct you will need end stop micro switches for the Relays.
What is the VA rating of your transformer.? you will also need a rectifier and smoothing caps, as the actuator requires DC.

E

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Point 1. A transformer gived an AC output and the actuator requires a DC supply. You could put a rectifier on the output of the transformer or buy a 12 volt DC power supply. The link to the remote control unit gives no information on the nature of it's output switching. You will need it to have one set of changeover contacts (Single pole double throw.) for up and another set for down. If it only has a set of normally open contacts for each direction then you will need two SPDT relays. Post pictures of the connections on the controller and any information supplied with it. From the picture it looks like it is being controlled from a smart phone or a tablet via wi fi. If so there would need to be some software supplied or a link to download the software.

Les.

Richard Walsh

Joined Nov 28, 2018
Hi Richard,
Welcome to AAC.
Checking the limited info on the controller I would say its contacts are only suitable for low current operation. ie: say a 12V relay.
Your colleague is correct you will need end stop microswitches for the Relays.
What is the VA rating of your transformer.? you will also need a rectifier and smoothing caps, as the actuator requires DC.

E
My transformer is attached

If anyone has a wiring diagram I will buy the items required and get to work.

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi R,
The image is a mains to 12Vdc Adaptor rated at 4Amps, more than enough for the 12Vdc, 10Watt actuator.
On the Control image it shows two pieces,[one held in a hand] how many items do you have.??
E

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
That is a switch mode DC power supply. Not just a transformer. It looks suitable for your purpose.
We will need to find some clear information on the remote control unit to draw a wiring diagram for you.
I found this picture on the link but the information is not very clear.
291118.jpg
Possibly appying power to it and seeing what the setup instruction on the APP say may be some help. I think there are three sets of NO contacts. A, B, C with one side of each connected to the common terminal.
Edit. Eric, I think the thing with the three coloured buttons is a smart phone or tablet.

Les.

Richard Walsh

Joined Nov 28, 2018
Im sorry but the control unit came with nothing but a leaflet on downloading a program and how to link it with my phone to essentially just push the buttons that are on the front of the unit. Image 1 and 2 attached.

Image 3 shows that using the transformer I can get the control unit to work (be on). Any configuration with the connections will not work though and this is why I believe I need to use the above-mentioned parts.

Ideally, someone tells me which relays to buy and uploads a circuit diagram and I work out the wifi when i get the basics right.

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi R,
Found this gate opener, have marked the wires.
Use Open for Up
Close for Down.
Stop.??
and the Common wire.
E

EDIT:
I will post a suggested circuit later today.

AA1 29-Nov-18 12.04.gif

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi R,
Look over this option.
Uses 12Vdc SPCO relays and N/C [ normally closed Limit switches]
The A and B and Common are from the LT3X.
The Green wire is a 'gate' sense wire, short to Com = Closed and open circuit = Open. Not used on this option.

I would add an inline fuse on the12Vdc wire, say 3Amp rating.

The Limit switches need to be mounted on the cabinet, so that they operate just before the maximum travel of the cabinet. Up and Down.

Don't use this to order/build until we have discussed further. Ask if in doubt.

E

EDIT:
I would say the 'C' Green wire should be redefined as:
If Gate is Closed 'C' is connected to Com, if NOT Closed 'C' is NOT connected to Com.

Attachments

Last edited:

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I think I would have chosen a simple remote control such as this. I have seen 2 channel versions on Ebay. Do you want it to only move when the button is pressed or do you want a button press to cause it to travel the full distance ? Also do you want the stop button to function ? I think Eric's diagram confirms my suspicion as to the way the output contacts are configured.

Les.

Richard Walsh

Joined Nov 28, 2018
I think I would have chosen a simple remote control such as this. I have seen 2 channel versions on Ebay. Do you want it to only move when the button is pressed or do you want a button press to cause it to travel the full distance ? Also do you want the stop button to function ? I think Eric's diagram confirms my suspicion as to the way the output contacts are configured.

Les.
Hi Les,

I did buy one like that at first but was unable to connect it. (see image5) So I went back to ebay again in a hope I could out buy the problem.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-M...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

If you think i should use this then I will.??

Attachments

Richard Walsh

Joined Nov 28, 2018
Do you want it to only move when the button is pressed or do you want a button press to cause it to travel the full distance ? Also do you want the stop button to function ? I think Eric's diagram confirms my suspicion as to the way the output contacts are configured.

Les.
Very good point - sorry

I want to press a button (once quickly) and have it go up to the top of the operation,
Sometime later I would like to press a button (could be the same one) and it goes down when I have finished. A separate up and down button would be best but at this point I will settle for anything.

I don't want to have to keep hold of the button for the whole operation.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I think the remote control in post #14 should work as I think the relays have SPDT contacts. (I have a couple of the 4 channel versions and they have SPDT relays.) You picture of that remote is not clear enough to read the lables on the terminal strip. If your camera has manual focus that may improve the quality. If it does have two SPDT relays it will work with Eric's schematic in post #11 but you would have to hold the buttons down, I will have to try to think of the easiest way to make it behave as you require. Did you manage to get the original remote to communicate with the app on a smart phone or tablet ?

Les

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Here is an idea that I think should do what you want but it involved soldering extra wires to the circuit board in the remote receiver unit. (To avoid that would require two extra SPDT relays.) This is the schematic I traced out for the 4 channel version. (NOTE the relay contacts are not shown.
4 channel remote.jpg

This is the suggested schematic.
291118RW.jpg

You would need to solder a wire to the junction of the relay coil and it's driver transistor for each relay. The two diodes to the relay coils could be 1N4148s The diodes in parallel with the limit switches need to carry tha actuator current so I would suggest 3 amp rating diodes. (You would probably just get away with 1 amp diodes.) A pulse from the remote would close the relay which would then be held closed via the small diode until the limit switch opened. Sorry I was too lazy to draw the schematic with Eagle PCB. I think the same basic idea would work using the Wi Fi remote plus two SPDT relays.

Les,

Les.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I want to press a button (once quickly) and have it go up to the top of the operation,
Sometime later I would like to press a button (could be the same one) and it goes down when I have finished. A separate up and down button would be best but at this point I will settle for anything.

I don't want to have to keep hold of the button for the whole operation.
This is a flip-flop circuit I put together some time ago using a single P.B. the PB could be substituted for a contact on a receiver unit.
Single PB for up and down.
Max.

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Hi Richard,
I have modified the schematic slightly to get rid of the two 3 amp diodes and redrawn it with Eagle PCB.
Latched motor reverse.png

I suspect that the contacts on you Wi Fi remote only close for a short time to create a pulse. If this is so it could be used in the above schematic with two 12 volt (Coil.) SPDT relays. The contacts outputs on the remote would replace the function of the transistors in the above schematic.

Les.

Richard Walsh

Joined Nov 28, 2018
Wow thank you so much - I'm on it this weekend and will let you know how I get on.

I can not thank you enough for all this. When a friend suggested this website I was skeptical that someone would give up their time to help me and I have been overwhelmed with the response.

Thank you so much,
Richard