100/-100V square wave generator from 170AC source

jy7w

Joined May 13, 2014
Hi all,

The goal is to generate a +/- 100V square wave from a 120 VAC wall source.
In addition, I need to be able to control the frequency and amplitude from a microcontroller.

I'm currently using a half rectifier and capacitor circuit to create the +/- 100V and feeding that into a comparator op-amp and using a signal from my micro to switch the output. However the problem is that the +/- 100V signal is referenced to NAC while the signal from my micro is referenced to GND from a voltage regulator and the comparator will have to be referenced to both GND and NAC which probably isn't a good idea.

If anyone has any suggestions or a new solution, please let me know.
Thanks

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You should have read the Terms of Service you agreed to:

"6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
Automotive modifications
Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
LEDs to mains
Phone jammers
Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
Transformer-less power supplies"

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
What is the frequency range, and how much power does the waveform have to deliver? It it's not huge, get a whatever-sized power transformer with dual 70V secondaries (Signal, Prem, etc). This plus a bridge and two caps will get you +/-100VDC, isolated and power-limited. Your uC GND ties to the xfmr center tap. Add isolated gate drivers and some high voltage MOSFETs and you're good to go.

ak

Last edited: