Yet 1 more MC-2100 hardware mystery...

mzorola

Joined Mar 1, 2022
I have an MC-2100 REV B V#37376 board that is acting very strange. I had been experiencing the tripped breaker issue (started slowly tripping once and a while but now trips when starting at any speed). I tested the motor and it ohms out OK with no shorts and it runs when connected to a battery (19V). I sent the board in for repair/rebuild and anxiously waited for the return but alas when I got it back it acted the same way! While I was waiting for the board to come back I read through this forum and others trying to learn how to diagnose this board. When I got the board back and I placed it in the treadmill I tried it out with no load on the motor (disconnected the belt). I also switched plugs for the treadmill to another room and circuit. I started the treadmill on speed 1 and the motor started to race away and the treadmill breaker popped. Usually its the house breaker but this time the treadmill breaker. My board always shows a steady red LED with no flashes. I also tried the speed test with the motor disconnected and a light in its place. This time when I press any speed the light comes on momentarily (about 1 sec) then goes away. The LED is still steady no flashes and the control panel displays like normal. If I manually rotate the tread the speed registers. Like I said I did have the board rebuilt and it looks like there are new components on the board. I am not experienced in electronics but I do know how to use a multimeter. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Really the best way to trouble shoot these boards is on the bench, You also require a small PWM generated signal to plug into the HD2 socket.
I built some using a 8pin picmicro, there is also a 555 version out there.
It is hard to guess remotely, the power devices on the heatsink are the first suspects.

mzorola

Joined Mar 1, 2022
Really the best way to trouble shoot these boards is on the bench, You also require a small PWM generated signal to plug into the HD2 socket.
I built some using a 8pin picmicro, there is also a 555 version out there.
It is hard to guess remotely, the power devices on the heatsink are the first suspects.
Thanks Max I agree the bench is the best approach. The company that rebuilt the board offered to rebuild it again at no charge. To be honest I suspect that the board was not completely tested and rebuilt since I don't believe the motor is at fault nor the speed control panel on the NordicTrack C1900. The motor isn't shorted, I disassembled the motor and internally everything looks good and has no opens or shorts and runs when attached to a battery. I believe these control boards have a fair amount of internal safety features to keep a no load motor from burning the board. Additionally the I think the C1900's control panel doesn't posses the voltage or configuration to blow out the MC2100 control board either. Is my thinking flawed? I hate to send the board back and get it fixed only to burn it out again due to something I am not thinking about.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As you say, these boards have quite a bit of protection.
They posses current monitoring etc, which generally prevents any overloading of the motor.

mzorola

Joined Mar 1, 2022
As you say, these boards have quite a bit of protection.
They posses current monitoring etc, which generally prevents any overloading of the motor.
Thanks for all your input--I really appreciate it. One more question. This board is an MC2100 Rev B 37376 with the transformer external to the board. I understand that's for situations where the control panel may need more power. I just acquired an MC2100 REV 5 37376 but it has the transformer on the 2100 control board. Is there any danger in using that control board? If the onboard transformer isn't hefty enough would it cause any damage or would the control panel simply not work?

mzorola

Joined Mar 1, 2022
Well I obviously don't know enough about these boards. I received a used MC2100 REV 5 board today and plugged it in only to have the exact same results as before. I switched out the motor for a light bulb as before and it also acts the same way. After selecting any speed the light bulb glows then turns off. The MC2100 LED never blinks.

So now I wonder if I have a bad control panel or a bad motor!? I think somewhere there was a reference to a purple wire having a pulse? I'll check that next. If anyone has any suggestions I'm listening.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
By unplugging the HD2 connector and applying power to the main board, it would eliminate the console.
The board should come on with the LED light steady.
The motor can be tested for most cases by using an automotive battery.
It really needs a PWM test board that plugs into HD2 and allows the ability to trouble shoot it.