Wrong turn!!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thats pretty normal when you have a bunch of new money. The local population gets used as slave labor for the wealthy. This is actually what Castro feared was gonna happen with Cuba and how he gained support and overthrew a US backed leader.
I'm afraid that it will happen here in the States too. To get jobs back they will call for drastic wage and benefit cuts. It all started back when Regan broke the air traffic controllers union, and now as the large corporations are going bankrupt and reforming. Maybe not in my lifetime but soon.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I'm afraid that it will happen here in the States too. To get jobs back they will call for drastic wage and benefit cuts. It all started back when Regan broke the air traffic controllers union, and now as the large corporations are going bankrupt and reforming. Maybe not in my lifetime but soon.
Hey, it's just that global society all of the unions keep supporting. Are you afraid of a little competition?

President Regan [sic], did more good for the working person than all of the Democrats in the last 60 years did together.

John

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Hey, it's just that global society all of the unions keep supporting. Are you afraid of a little competition?

President Regan [sic], did more good for the working person than all of the Democrats in the last 60 years did together.

John
No asinus feellings in John's loxodonta view.;)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008

John
I'll have to strongly disagree with your interpretation of those events, and leave it at that.

What Reagan did best was foreign policy. I doubt Mr. Hussein would have misunderstood the USA at that time. He cleaned up more than one mess left by Jimmy. A president has to be willing to do what it takes sometimes, even if it blows the deficit out of the water.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
FDR blew the deficit out of the water, spending $4 for every dollar in receipts.

No one has even come close to that since.

Now, the federal debt ....

We have always been in debt. The first thing the interim Congress' did (between 1776 and 1790) was assume the war debt. The closest to green we got was in the 1830s when we were a mere 33k in debt.

Congress has spent more than it received for alot of years. The two or three years the Congress operated in the black, was not because of WJC, because his presidency ended in the RED, but because of the change of control in the house in 1994.

Since that time, we've learned that both parties (D & R) can't control their spending desires. The addition of the "tea" party, although caucusing with the R, might make some inroads to the situation. Time will tell. It will be up to the American Voter to right this ship of state. Right now we Americans are almost evenly split on the direction to sail the ship of state.

I know Reagan was good for the country. I know the military's morale lifted after the election of 1980.

My position on the PATCO ... the Professional Air Traffic COntrollers Union ... they signed a contract with the stipulation of not walking out. Interrupting the Air Traffic Control service was a violation of their contract at the time. I agree with Reagan, he didn't fire them, they quit.