Wrong turn!!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you can not swear you do not have freedom of speech. Like jpanhalt said, our freedoms are curtailed when they can cause real physical harm, not because they are merely offensive (which is what swearing is). You might get beat up in the US, but not arrested by any government.

Belonging to the US military you give up the right to criticize the government publicly while in the service, by you may still vote as you please. When you get out these restrictions go away.

I agree that we have slid a bit downhill, but so far we are maintaining the basics.

Billo, when I was referring to the IRA I was not referring in any way to freedom of speech, but their tendency to kill protestants, who were fellow Irish men of a different religion. While the struggle was primarily political, there were some very ugly religious war undertones to it. Indeed, much of the war was along religious lines.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Billo, when I was referring to the IRA I was not referring in any way to freedom of speech, but their tendency to kill protestants, who were fellow Irish men of a different religion. While the struggle was primarily political, there were some very ugly religious war undertones to it. Indeed, much of the war was along religious lines.
Okay, gotcha. That 'war' certainly started from religious roots and kept that tone to it thoughout.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
So our government is playing with us, saying we have freedom of speech

From the sounds of it, moderation and toleration is seriously lacking. Corruption is rampant. I have trouble believing dogs, a major source of home and personal protection, are banned. I'm willing to bet guns are too, but other democracies get by without them, so maybe that isn't a big deal.

I know nothing about your homeland. It could be paradise, but when people impose their views on everyone else, especially about religion, it can become something else.

Does your homeland allow other religions?

The American First Amendment put Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion in the same amendment, and it was first of 10. This is what was so revolutionary about the American system of government. We still fight the battle today, as there is always someone (everywhere) who wants to control others.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Belonging to the US military you give up the right to criticize the government publically while in the service, by you may still vote as you please. When you get out these restrictions go away.
The Hatch act covers the political activities of members of the U.S. Armed Forces. Yes, they give up certain rights while in uniform, like bad mouthing the President or other officials. One must tie their affiliation to the military for retributions.

Writing a letter to the editor, and signing it with just your name, is the act of a common citizen. If the member wrote it and signed with their official title, all hell could break loose.

Public officials, in the U.S. can not seek judical relief from people for slander or libel. Public officials lose the privacy afforded most Americans. Just because people disagree and it's published ... there can be no truth to the published material or it could be embellished to the nth degree.

The good thing about the internet is we get to see everything. The bad thing about the internet is we get to see everything. The truth is somewhere in between the extremes.

After all, "It must be true. I read it on the internet." :)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The title of the First Amendment is

Amendment 1. Freedom of Religion, Press

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
source http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am1

There are more judicial clashes over this amendment than any others. Things disgusting to one are seen as protected speech.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
tom :cool:
what are you up to now.

{ed}
tom....do you have issues with religion or religious guys...what about Christians?
No, I don't have issues with religious people; I give them respect.

But you made a contradiction, you said you are not "a religious guy" but then claim to be "a Muslim". I don't think you can have the two states of mind.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I see no problem with that. I am a Christian, but I do not impose my beliefs on others. I love science, there are those who think scientists must be atheist or agnostic, usually the atheists or agnostics. I disagree with that POV too.

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Other religions are allowed to live here.

But You cannot practice it in public or do any kind of advertisement or religious festival in open public.

You can do your thing in closed doors. You have every right like that.

Guns are prohibited what so ever. We cannot buy gun powder or any other hazardous chemical for that matter.

Our "beloved" 30 year president banned fire crackers and anything related to it due to the fact that he was afraid somebody might blow one in his pajamas.
In his very first in inauguration he wore flak jacket and had a gun with him. Even then he knew tht there is non in public who knew how to hold a fire arm. Not even now.

If you are caught blowing even a soda bottle type of bomb thingy that makes nothing but a big bang, no one will ever see you in the near future.

But still I hear loud bangs every now and then. These gangs have a way of annoying patrol cops

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Location is Paradise. I prefer it that way. I like to keep it that way to ashtray new comers ( from here )
I meant it for you guys..the beauty and the beach and the peace that lies in the rural areas. It's in the Capital that's chaotic. :)