Would a standard 12V fan be happy running inside a fridge?

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Assuming its not lubricated with grease which will solidify I don't see why not... I'd try a simple experiment to see...

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
and specific fan? some sort of pc chassis fan? some have hydraulic bearings but datasheets are hard to come by so test is the best way to verify.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Fisher & paykel & LG fridges use what look like computer fans these days to circulate fridge temp & freezer temp air. They also vary the fan speeds.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Experiment uder way.
As it is it is 2C at the bottom and 6C at the top. I would like them to be more equal.
This fridge is to be used for storing medication.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Yes, it will work. The temperature is not low enough to solidify the sleeve bearing lubrication. If it started to thicken, the extra friction would warm it up.
Regards,
Keith

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Experiment uder way.
As it is it is 2C at the bottom and 6C at the top. I would like them to be more equal.
This fridge is to be used for storing medication.
I also do not see why it wouldn't work. Long as you have it going please let us know how it works out. I would be curious as to how much it improves the temperature differential.

Ron

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It's been through a few thermostat cycles now and the fan has survived so far. The maximum difference between top and bottom is now 0.3C, and the maximum range through the cycles is from 2.6C to 3.8C.

That is a successful experiment (providing the fan has a reaonable life).

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Got a freezer from a neighbor. It quit freezing. Actually, no, it didn't quit freezing, it quit circulating the air inside the freezer. The cause was a bad coil (shade pole motor). Replaced the fan motor and the freezer was working as normal. Those shade pole motors have lubed bushings, and work in an environment below freezing. I'd suspect a computer fan, which likely has similar bushings, should be just fine in a cold but not freezing environment.

You said this is a medicine storage fridge. My only concern about that would be if the plastic could outgas something that could have an affect on the medications stored inside. My wife keeps an open box of baking soda to absorb odors. So there may be some migration of chemicals via sublimation. I don't KNOW that you'll have issues; but if this is for some medical facility then there's a chance that they could be held liable if someone has ill effects from medication stored in a refrigerator with a fan of unknown chemistry. Of course I may be sounding a false alarm; but it's better to now than to guess.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Those shade pole motors have lubed bushings, and work in an environment below freezing. I'd suspect a computer fan, which likely has similar bushings, should be just fine in a cold but not freezing environment.
There is quite a marked efficiency between the two, the shaded pole is the lowest you can get at around 20% eff, the BLDC is over 80%. ;)
Plus the shaded pole throws out way more heat.
Max.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Wasn't saying 'use a shade pole' motor. Just highlighting the bushing type being similar to those in a BLDC fan. Am more concerned with chemicals from the fan blades, and any possible ROHS without the Removal Of part.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The medication is for me and it is sealed in an injection pen so I don't think anything is going to get in there.
It absolutely musn't freeze or it is junk. My domestic fridge has poor regulation. It gets colder on a warm day so there is a risk it might freeze on a warm day. Hence I bought this one.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
This is a small display fridge i use for drinks, this fan has been running for years & comes on/off with the compressor. Recently it was not keeping a good tight temp range as the thermostat become eratic. I replaced it with a cheap digital thermostat that you can adjust the temperature & the temp diferential, which i set at 2 deg C diferential.1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG