Wire wrap intro..........

dmowziz

Joined Jan 18, 2019
When you are wiring multiple buses such as encountered in microcontroller experimentation, breadboarding becomes painful.

There are three options (almost all obsolete) that I have used successfully in the past.

1) wire-wrapping, if you can locate wire-wrap DIP sockets

2) Scotch-3M IDC breadboarding system (I have to look up the correct terminology) - which is probably impossible to source. This, by far, is the most efficient breadboarding technique. You simple run wire-wrap wire to each connection point and press it in. It allows you to lay continuous runs of a signal wire.

3) Using special wire insulated with a thermo-plastic coating. You simply wire from point-to-point using your soldering iron. The heat from the soldering iron melts the plastic coating and solders the end of the wire to the solder pad. As above, you can lay continuous runs of one signal without having to cut the wire.

I can't find wire wrap sockets

is this any good? Using wires

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I can't find wire wrap sockets

is this any good? Using wires
That protoboard is OK.
I prefer to use protoboards that are specifically designed for DIP packages. It will have at least two power rails running down in between 0.3" spaced pads.

For wiring, look up Belden Beldsol solderable magnet wire.

dmowziz

Joined Jan 18, 2019
That protoboard is OK.
I prefer to use protoboards that are specifically designed for DIP packages. It will have at least two power rails running down in between 0.3" spaced pads.

For wiring, look up Belden Beldsol solderable magnet wire.
Thanks...never seen a protoboard(not solderless breadboard) with power rails. Good, thanks

dmowziz

Joined Jan 18, 2019

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
What about the tools? I used to have a couple of those things laying about. No idea where they walked off too in the past 30 years.
I'm on my second wire wrap tool. The first one died a hideous death 40-some years ago when my ex-wife (before she became an ex-) mistook it for a nail set and attempted to use it to recess some nails in some woodwork. Mangled the livin' daylights out of it. When I came home from work she held it up for me to look at and said, "See what a piece of crap this nail set is? Don't ever buy another one of those again!"

Sigh...

dmowziz

Joined Jan 18, 2019
I'm on my second wire wrap tool. The first one died a hideous death 40-some years ago when my ex-wife (before she became an ex-) mistook it for a nail set and attempted to use it to recess some nails in some woodwork. Mangled the livin' daylights out of it. When I came home from work she held it up for me to look at and said, "See what a piece of crap this nail set is? Don't ever buy another one of those again!"

Sigh...
lol...btw, why ex? because of this??

I remember a WW tool that could be used for bussing. You didn't have to strip the wire. never used it.

A Auger Mass Spectrometer UHV (Ultra-High Vacuum - ION pumped) SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) made by Kevex gave me the fits though. The production board was wire wrapped. A number that the operator needed was in a specific color and that color or the actual number would disappear sometimes. Long before real computers and displays. PDP-11 based, Color display. That system was a mass of cables.

The operator had to move it and labeled all of the cables. I didn't understand his labeling method, but it involved dice type dot markings with multiple color dots (Stadtler permanent marker Pens). Low tech. No fancy labelmakers back then.

Aside: We bought a 3-source e-beam evaporator via auction and "THEY" cut all of the wires from the e-beam controller to the vacuum system.

There were connectors, they were just hidden in the rack. They were betting it would never run, I had no help putting it all back together. I wish they would have not cut the three high voltage cables (there were lugs).

It was "sort of" a lemon, because the e-beam sources were designed badly which the manufacturer admitted. I think it was about 9K if we wanted new sources. Power source 90 A 208 3 phase 5 wire. The equipment cabinet switched the neutral which is permitted.

For the Kevex unit, the manufacturer bussed the power and ground pins by soldering only those pins to a PCB. Everything else was wire-wrapped. They missed one or two solder joints on an IC. Took like 7 years for the problem to show up and I had to find it.