How would you wire something like this up? I cant wrap my head around it. Artist claims the entire structure is electrified to pass power through.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Appears to be set up in matrix format, by the look of it, each illuminated row at right angles to the other, you would need to find the end termination point to enable any deciphering of the method used.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It certainly looks like a fraudulent claim, because of: First, the photo carefully hides the details of the edges, and in fact only shows a small section clearly, and, in addition, does not show any LED illuminated. Yes, in theory it can be done, but this is not it.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

It's wired as a matrix.
1704763517800.png
The node circled in red is either the anode or cathode. The other terminal circled in blue is above the red plane.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It would need to be an isolated grid, X and Y axis insulated from each other. But I do not see that. And the ends will need to be separated, I do not see that either. So while theory says it could be done, observation sayas, "But not here, this time.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It looks like the x and y grids are isolated. The grid in one direction has a very short leg on the LED while the grid in the other direction has a longer leg, thus providing separation. If the wires are stiff enough (and it looks like the might be for the LED separation used) that might be sufficient as long as the structure doesn't get disturbed much.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It certainly looks like a fraudulent claim, because of: First, the photo carefully hides the details of the edges, and in fact only shows a small section clearly, and, in addition, does not show any LED illuminated. Yes, in theory it can be done, but this is not it.
The two circuits are isolated. The photo of the face-on LEDs doesn’t make that visible, but look at the edge of the curve:

1704798895316.jpeg
there is about 5mm between the two matrix wires
Concerning none of the LEDs being lit, this photo is probably intended to show the structure, not the operation. If the LEDs were one taking a photograph of the structure would be very difficult because the LEDs would either be badly blown out to expose for the darker wires or the wires would be obscured in darkness to expose for the LEDs.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Taking a photo would need to be done from a much greater distance
When I blow up the image I see a short piece of insulation on each vertical wire where it crosses the horizontal wires.
I do not have the capability to blow up the photo. So thanks, Bob, for the enlarged portion. Certainly the fabrication of this work was a daunting task. And it seems as though the finished work would be rather fragile. It also may be that all of the LEDs are in parallel.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If one is in the right place at the right time, and says the right words to the appropriate people, it is possible to obtain a huge quantity of LEDs that fail to meet some part of their specifications. It also helps to be on good terms with a manufacturer's Rep. I saw this happen once.