Wire Stripper Recommendation

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Which wire stripper to buy is a common question here on AAC. There are different types for different purposes but one of the most liked is the plier type stripper with notches for each gauge. I have previously recommended the Klein 11046 which is a newer version of a venerable standby which I liked a bit better but they are so similar it doesn't really matter.

But I have a new recommendation is this class of stripper, the Hakko CHP CSP-30-1. Hakko makes some very nice, very affordable tweezers, flush cutters, and pliers. They are made in Italy with a fit and finish that is unusual in the price class. They are inexpensive tools done right. I assume the target is production use where you will go through many pairs and so the more expensive tools which might be appropriate for precision work are cost prohibitive.

1648207114152.png
the CHP-30-1 wire stripper with shears and pliers
The ergonomic grips are very comfortable and definitely not the quality you'd expect on such an inexpensive tool. The material has a soft, grippy surface and they are very well attached to the handles. I don't know if they are overmolded but as much force as I was willing to try didn't move them at all.

It has a clever two position lock. In the photo it is in the first position and you can see the jaws are separated just enough to be able to insert the wire for stripping. In the second the jaws are closed completely. When the lock is off the pliers are wide open. I first encountered this idea on a pair of Klein Romex strippers but its lock had onlyvthe first position and open. I thought the pliers were poorly manufactured at first and tried a couple of things to "fix" them.

Fortunately my efforts failed and I didn't fix something that wasn't broken. With the opening big enough to insert the wire to be stripped, you don't have to try to keep it engaged in the slot, and the handles are much closer together and easier to use. The fully open position allows the use of the shears near the pivot and a larger opening for the jaws on the tip, but really those are most useful for twisting wires as needed and so are better off spaced as they end up.

The blades are sharp and precise. They do an excellent job on both PVC and silicone insulation. With the jaws closed the cutter openings are neat circles that cut all the way around without additional movement. When choosing the right size they never clipped or nicked a conductor. The operating range is excellent for electronics work going from 20AWG to 30AWG (.2mm to .8mm).

1648208715390.png
the cutting blades form neat, round holes
The shears make clean, flat cuts perfect for termination. Unlike diagonal and flush cutters the shearing action doesn't squeeze the cable resulting in flatter more even cuts. If you are terminating with JST or DuPont crimp terminals this tool makes and excellent conductor brush and allows easier insertion without twisting which is the correct procedure.

Hakko also offers the CHP-170 flush cutter which is similarly high quality and low cost. I strongly recommend both as hidden gems for your tool kit.

1648209999556.png
the CHP-170 flush cutter
[EDIT: post-posting proofreading, a bad habit]

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
As i have mentioned before, it is Weidmuller for my tool preferences.
The Stripax automatically adjusts for wire gauge,.
I do like the automatic stripper. For me it is Paladin though. I have used Paladin Stripax® strippers for decades. I don't know who actually owns the design, though. However, the cost of these options is ≥10x.

1648218615934.png

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yup, ditto. Bought mine from Amazon. Waste of time and money. The storeroom at work carried the Ideal model T-5 which is purported to be the US market leader in strippers. It's for #10 - 20? and I also bought the Hakko for size #20 - 30.
1648229979568.png

Anna Swinemar

Joined Oct 31, 2017
I've always found those strippers with the preset gauge slots to be very awkward, so I have used this type ever since I can remember.

View attachment 263601
But I admit I do use a type like those shown above for stranded...man I hate stripping stranded wire.
I agree with ElectricSpidey, those are my go to wire strippers. Takes some getting used to at first but a much better option (in my opinion).

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I bought a knock off on Ali Express for $11 when free shipping was more common.

But not before buying one of these, which didn't work well:
View attachment 263586
That's a Stanley Fat Max wire stripper.
https://www.bes.co.uk/stanleyr-fatmaxr-automatic-wire-stripper--24311/
I really like mine - I wonder if I bought a real one, and that one isn't.

For smaller wires, when I got fed up with Lindstrom's quality, I went in search of some better cutters and found these.
https://www.tsunoda-japan.com/EN/itempage/TM-11.html
They are excellent cutters and have a notch for stripping thin wires which works very well.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I've always found those strippers with the preset gauge slots to be very awkward, so I have used this type ever since I can remember.

View attachment 263601
But I admit I do use a type like those shown above for stranded...man I hate stripping stranded wire.
I used that style as a teen, I always hated them. Hard to set up, hard to keep set.

A few years back I bought enough pairs of these off EBay that I never seem to loose them all at the same time:

stripper.jpg
Not the best tool but fine for hobby work.

Attachments