Wire header/connector ID

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Anyone recognize this type of connector, have used them in the past but this one is a 8 pole 0n 0.1" spacing. I am trying to come up with a replacement.
It is marked AMP but have searched all over and cannot find the amp part number or anything that looks like it, I am hoping it is not obsolete!.
It is the type that uses a punch-down tool for wire connections.
Just need the description for this type of connector?
Max.

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have used the wire insertion tool for telecom wire. They are basically free, are made of plastic, and don't lat long. A cheap blade screwdriver with a ground notch in the center will also work.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have used the wire insertion tool for telecom wire. They are basically free, are made of plastic, and don't lat long. A cheap blade screwdriver with a ground notch in the center will also work.
Ended up making the tool from 10mm bamboo rod, just machined the end to suit, works a treat.
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It is an IDC ( Insulation Displacement Connector ) and my experience with them has not been good. They are OK in TV sets that are never moved or shipped, they are a bad choice fir industrial equipment. A skilled tech can solder the wire in when they become intermittent, but that is not a fix for those who are not masters of soldering to try.