Single contact crimp or solder termination for connecting a wire to breadboard or female pcb header

jannerfish

Joined Jan 21, 2016
(btw is female header correct terminology?)

I'm looking for something like pics attached.

pcb_conn1.jpg

pcb_conn2.jpg

These terminations are on jumper wires supplied with an arduino starter kit (I'm a beginner...)

I want more terminations like this (but not the wire). I just need single contact terminations, not multi-contact rows. I've looked at wire-to-board connectors and can't find what I want. I've tried using D-sub pins but their diameter is generally too big.

The diameter of connector in pic is 0.61 mm. I can work with ~0.4...0.6 mm.

Thanks
janner

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is a male pin plug, So you just need the Pin without wire attached.?
You can get single gang strips from Amazon etc.
How do you want the connection to be made to the pin?
Max..

jannerfish

Joined Jan 21, 2016
Yes just the pin. Solder or crimp connection, I don't mind. I've looked for the strips on Amazon, RS and Farnell but can't find just what I need.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You could get the pin strips, break them off as needed, they come with a SIP style sockets on one side, pin on the other,
you can insert a small stranded wire and apply solder.
I have done this on occasion.
Max.

jannerfish

Joined Jan 21, 2016
You could get the pin strips, break them off as needed, they come with a SIP style sockets on one side, pin on the other,
you can insert a small stranded wire and apply solder.
I have done this on occasion.
Max.
Yes, what you describe is exactly what I'm looking for. I just can't find them anywhere. Either in strips or as single connectors.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Yes, what you describe is exactly what I'm looking for. I just can't find them anywhere. Either in strips or as single connectors.
I buy these pins and covers from AliExpress. Also bought the crimping tool there.
clipimage.jpgclipimage.jpgclipimage.jpgclipimage.jpg

You can also buy the assembled jumpers for less than the parts would cost you:
clipimage.jpg

On AliExpress, they call them Dupont connectors and jumpers.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Search for Arduino Jumper Wires and you can find many solutions. Also, Arduino Jumper Cables, Breadboard Jumper Wires or Breadboard Jumper Cables. They come in many lengths and combinations of male and female terminations.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Search for Arduino Jumper Wires and you can find many solutions. Also, Arduino Jumper Cables, Breadboard Jumper Wires or Breadboard Jumper Cables. They come in many lengths and combinations of male and female terminations.
I took it the OP just needs the pin with no wire attached, the wired type are abundant on ebay and Amazon etc.
The Jumper versions are too large end pins.
Max.

jannerfish

Joined Jan 21, 2016
I got mine on Amazon
Break Away Single Row Round Headers Machine Pin Female 0.1" 2.54mm 40 Pins(Pack of 10)
Max.
I have those, mounted on board.
I need something to mate with them. Looking for male, cable mounted terminations.

I think dl324's crimp contacts might be the thing. Hopefully.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I think dl324's crimp contacts might be the thing.
Those connectors are 0.25" square; intended for mating to male and female headers of the same dimensions (Arduino, Rpi, etc).

If you plan on using the covers, you need a crimping tool. If you use pliers, they probably won't fit without some massaging.