Will we see a real self driving car in our life time?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Not that it is the first concern but there will be details to be examined by many parties as the concept evolves and people start to feel comfortable, and even become really good at using the features/loop-holes the system enables. For example, Self-driving cars will both cause and alleviate issues in urban areas.

They will alleviate parking issues because they can be sent to non-urban parking lots when the driver exits the vehicle to enter his workplace/shopping place (if it is a personal vehicle and not a taxi. This means cities will have to somehow make up for the lost revenue of the then-empty parking spots (raise rates for non-autonomous vehicles that remain in the city? - adjusting rates downwards to create demand doesn't seem to be an option for government-controlled enterprises).

On the other hand, The self-driving vehicle could cause gridlock if many owners send the car to circle the area until shopping/dining is completed to avoid paying for parking.

The laws/rules will be interesting.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Here in many communities we have anti cruising ordinances. If you pass a give area 3 times in an hour (not sure about the exact details) you can be given a ticket. It is mainly meant for bored teens.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Not that it is the first concern but there will be details to be examined by many parties as the concept evolves and people start to feel comfortable, and even become really good at using the features/loop-holes the system enables. For example, Self-driving cars will both cause and alleviate issues in urban areas.

They will alleviate parking issues because they can be sent to non-urban parking lots when the driver exits the vehicle to enter his workplace/shopping place (if it is a personal vehicle and not a taxi. This means cities will have to somehow make up for the lost revenue of the then-empty parking spots (raise rates for non-autonomous vehicles that remain in the city? - adjusting rates downwards to create demand doesn't seem to be an option for government-controlled enterprises).

On the other hand, The self-driving vehicle could cause gridlock if many owners send the car to circle the area until shopping/dining is completed to avoid paying for parking.

The laws/rules will be interesting.
BMW is already working on a self parking car.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2866723/bmws-next-self-parking-car-wont-need-any-human-help.html

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Here in many communities we have anti cruising ordinances. If you pass a give area 3 times in an hour (not sure about the exact details) you can be given a ticket. It is mainly meant for bored teens.
I think that is the case with Clearwater beach. I drive to fix a machine, figure out I need a 9 foot ladder, go get it, drive back to the job, and I have violated a law.
Yay, Need more laws criminalizing every aspect of daily behavior.
I just saw a new one today, "Resisting a Merchant".
I do that every time I see an advertisement!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Have you ever been in a town center when kids are cruising up and down the street out of boredom? Tan't a pretty sight, and tends towards mischief besides.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Here in many communities we have anti cruising ordinances. If you pass a give area 3 times in an hour (not sure about the exact details) you can be given a ticket.
I can't imagine that law surviving a court challenge. The civil disobedience gene I carry would compel me to violate this ordinance as much as possible and, when challenged, announce that I am 1) Performing a piece of performance art, and 2) Exerting my constitutionally protected rights of freedom of speech (to protest the ordinance) and assembly (which generally gives freedom of motion in public areas).

The law only persists because the oppressed people it is aimed at can't vote.

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I wish to see such a car.....

Originally algorithms were developed for military equipment.
Companies in the automotive industry took over the idea in forms that impresses first:
- car reacts - help you avoid a car accident
- car is parked by itself - if low speed, do not expect to serious accidents, in case of system failure.

Algorithms are very compex.

You can test the app for Android which one helps to drive the car.
Tablet or phone is mounted on the board with a view through the windshield.
The image taken by the camera is analyzed.

I have not used such applications, but I'm curious what results you get you.
If you find such applications, post them here.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Proving the adage that "you can't fix stupid".

Actually those videos are a good argument to take humans out of the equation.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
there is one problem I can see tht might kill the self driving car, how can lawyers place blame when there is an accident? the car is not a person, no lawsuit without persons involved.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Same s#!t, different day.
If you don't want your database hacked, don't connect it to the Internet.
If you don't want your self driving car hacked, don't equip it to receive signals from outside the car.
Don't believe me? Read about recent hacking successes.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I completely agree that hacking of electronic devices is nothing new. But I think the ability to hack modern cars (with human drivers), which was previously unknown, takes it to a whole new level.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I can just hear the trial lawyers now: "The hit-and-run death is not the fault of my client's car, your honor, it was hacked by the Chinese".